Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wanted: All about 4x4's for dummies...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BranndonC, May 28, 2002.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

Wanted: All about 4x4\'s for dummies...

I have been here for a little while and still can't pick up on enough to understand more than 10% of what's posted here... is there a book i can get to smart-ify me? I mean like 4x4 for dummies so i can educate myself. Even if anyone has a microsoft word document that has info that can help.

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Re: Wanted: All about 4x4\'s for dummies...

i was like that too but i asked questions and i learned. if you're confused, ask, that's what the forums are for.

3. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

I'm the kind of person who really learns by doing, but .... this web site really explains a lot of the theory pretty well. You might want to give it a read.

http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/

thomas.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Previous to finding this site I read all the 4x4 rags out there cover to cover each month...and i spent many long nights under my truck wrenching 'by the seat of my pants'. Learning about these things is a never ending thing. I've had my Jimmy for over 5 years and been wrenching on my own rides for over 20 years and I still learn plenty here every day.

The more I learn the more i realize how little I know. Keep asking questions and don't be afraid to make a mistake.

Rene

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

thanks, i just read over that site, and learned a little bit. but i still don't know little things, my questions i have now are.
    1. Does my 6 inch lift really put me at that much of a higher risk of rolling than going down to a 4 inch lift? and if so, would i have to trim to go down to 4 inches?
    2. which gears should i go to and how much top end will i lose? I have 35's and stock gears in my 89' and think low gears would help the truck (Engine or tranny? which gets the help from gears?) and give me more pick up for passing and such, but what is too low? i have a 3 speed with OD, right now i can go about 85-90 in my truck, i don't want to go any lower than 75 comfortably.
    3. Is there any negitive effects to installing a tranny cooler, and a large one at that?
    4. Would an increase in my Horse Power start breaking things along the drive train (u-joints, drive shaft etc...)?
    Thanks everyone, and i'll save all replys for later reference.

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

thanks, i just read over that site, and learned a little bit. but i still don't know little things, my questions i have now are.
    1. Does my 6 inch lift really put me at that much of a higher risk of rolling than going down to a 4 inch lift? and if so, would i have to trim to go down to 4 inches?
    2. which gears should i go to and how much top end will i lose? I have 35's and stock gears in my 89' and think low gears would help the truck (Engine or tranny? which gets the help from gears?) and give me more pick up for passing and such, but what is too low? i have a 3 speed with OD, right now i can go about 85-90 in my truck, i don't want to go any lower than 75 comfortably.
    3. Is there any negitive effects to installing a tranny cooler, and a large one at that?
    4. Would an increase in my Horse Power start breaking things along the drive train (u-joints, drive shaft etc...)?
    Thanks everyone, and i'll save all replys for later reference.

7. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

yes on your 6 inch lift question , but not that much . you WILL have to trim if u go to a 4" lift , but i cant tell you how much for sure cuz my truck is a special case hehe . if you are going to keep the 35's i reccomend about 4.10s , 4.56s are too low , but then again i dont have OD .
    NO negative effects on the tranny cooler DO put the largest one you can find in , 700 r4s break when overheated .
    on the hp i only have a 305 sooo .... but i have busted stuff being dumb tho . hope this helps - Andy

8. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

thanks a lot for helping me... do you think 4.56 would be ok with my OD tranny? or would 4.10's suffice, i don't really know what i'm looking to accomplish, i guess just a reliable truck that's ready to go off road when ever i get a chance.

9. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I have the 4.56's with the OD tranny and 33 in tires.. I love the combo..Dan

10. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

A few more things.. when you install a tranny cooler, bypass the stock one in the radiator instead of running it through both, it'll run even cooler without the stock one. And more power will break parts easier, and this rule applies to all cars. It depends on how much more power your talking about though.

11. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

With the tranny cooler, just remember to periodically check the lines for tightness. It sucks to lose all your atf 60 miles from the nearest shop, five miles from a main road in December. (so I've heard LOL but only kindof)

12. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I have a 700R4 and 4.56's in the axles with my 35''s. I thought that these gears were too low at first, but they are growing on me. I am glad that I did not go with 4.10's. I can comfortably cruise at 75mph, but it will consume noticeably more gas compared to going 65. I have had my speedo loop around past the 85 mark to pass a few times, but I wouldn't hold it there. One hell of a performance gain over the stock 3.42's!

13. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

you break any u-joints with the new gears? or anything else for that matter? is there something between 4.10 and 4.56 ?
    4.33?

14. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

There aren't any gears for our axles that fall in between 4.10 and 4.56. Both ring gears have 41 teeth. But a 4.10 pinion gear has 10 teeth, while a 4.56 pinion gear has 9 teeth. 41/10=4.10 41/9=4.55, rounded up it's 4.56. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

4.56/700R4/35s is a great combo.

16. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well im going to go with 33's with the stock gearing in mine..(3.73)

Bryan-later

17. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

In reply to the tranny cooler suggestions - if you run your truck in really cold weather you may not want to bypass the rad - you can overcool the tranny in sub-zero temperatures which can be mitigated a bit by running it through the radiator.

18. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

1) I think 6" of lift is too high...most people don't. If I ever go to larger tires I will lower my truck (4" lift now) to keep the center of gravity lower. My guess is on the street you will do fine with 4" lift and 35's but if you take it offroad you will have to trimm. I drive a stock s-10 on the street so what do I know?

2) Check out http://www.ring-pinion.com/calculators.html
    I bet you have 3.08 gears now. I have 4.56 and 36" tires with no OD if you want to compair. I can't do more than about 70 but have all sorts of power on the hills. Your tires are more like 33-34" but you should measure to be sure.

3) Put in the largest B&M tranny cooler that comes with the install kit...you won't be upset. Also I don't think it is a good idea to bypass the cooler in the rad. The tranny needs to get up to temp to work properally.

4) Lower gears will put less stress on your engine, trans, d-shafts, but more HP will put more.