Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wanted, decent Chevy 4x4 in Eastern PA area

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region' started by sled_dog, Jun 1, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

My sister is 15, she wants a truck for her first vehicle, today she showed an interest in an older K10 long bed(heartwarming I tell you). Anyway shes got money saved and figures on either a newer IFS truck and blowing most of her budget there, or an older pickup and using her money to fix it up to a really nice truck. Anyway, my thoughts are, 87 or newer pickup, shortbed, long bed, 1/2 ton 3/4 doesn't matter. Heck if the price is right a 1 ton sure wouldn't be out of the question. Looking for a decent truck that could be fixed up into a nice driver. Namely if its got no rockers and other minor body stuff thats fine. Dad and I can handle it, just a matter of if the body supports are rusted out or there are holes in the floor that we'd prefer not. Heck if it doesn't run thats fine too, just an excuse to build a nice motor. I think you get what I'm looking for, decent shape rust wise truck, automatic(she hasn't learned to deal with stick yet and I'm not gonna stick her with a 465), TBI rig.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

she threw a monkey wrench in, has to be shortbed, and she doesn't want a K5 has to be a pickup, damn her.

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Short bed single cab duallys are so cute. Especially in cherry red and alcoa wheels. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

Other than that, I'll keep my eyes open. Havent seen anything good around for a while. Truck trader had a few though.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

some reason I didn't even think of truck trader. Short beds are kind of rare in this area. Don't see many and the ones you do are usually 2wd. She said something about stepside but I just figure normal one maybe with a rotten bed and put a newer IFS fiberglass stepside bed on it. My dad likes stepsides too so that would go over well.

5. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

thought stepsides didnt come out until after 88+. Then the body lines are different enough that the pre CK body lines dont really match up too well.

Other than that, IIRC, the 88+ flaresides are made from fiberglass already, doubt you'll find too much rust. The extra factory galvanizing also helps.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

there were lots of stepsides before 88. They were made of steel as well. I've seen some nasty rotten ones. They had wooden bed floors as well. They even had 8 foot stepside beds at one time. And there is a truck running around my area that is like an 85 with a newer style stepside bed and it looks good. There are no real body lines on the step side so you don't have to worry about them lining up with anything.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status