Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wanted: decent double wall hard top for 71k5

Discussion in 'Parts & Trucks Wanted' started by bp71k5, May 28, 2006.

1. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Hi, the title says it all. prefer it to be in pretty good shape structurally. (ie no sagging) Can pick up anywhere in CA or possible nevada/reno area.

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hi there. I'm in san jose as well.
    I have two double wall hard tops. black outside, white inside. the rear hatch is in real good condition on both of em.

One is in extremely good condition, the other one is in decently good condition with a crack up on the drivers side corner.

How much are you looking to spend on one of these?

I put the good one up for sale on craigslist for $750 and within two days i had like 12 people emailing me about it so i decided to hang on to it...

3. bp71k5

Are you selling the good one still? I have a not so good one so the good one is probably all I'm interested in. Vintage Chevy has a couple for ~$1000 that are in good shape, but that's kinda pricey for me right now. Depending on condition, I'd take it off your hands for 750 maybe a little more.

4. blopez

blopez Registered Member

Black 69-71 Blazer/Jimmy Hard Top With 5'X5' Rack

I have a black hard top for a 69-72 Blazer/Jimmy. It is a little faded and old but all in all in pretty good shape. It has a roof rack that is welded (good job too) with 3/4" square tubing, its strong enough to hold anything you can put up there. I live at the beach and never have the top on the truck, and am going to get a soft top for it.

I need it out of here fast so MAKE ME AN OFFER,

Let me know if you want some pics.

5. bp71k5

yea, send me some pictures.

6. blopez

blopez Registered Member

7. blopez

blopez Registered Member

Hard Top

I am new to this how do I get pictures to you?

8. bp71k5

You can use the "manage attachments" button below where you are replying to these messages or you can just email them to me. I'll PM you my email address right now.

9. blopez

blopez Registered Member

Pictures

I emailed you the pics

10. chevy111

chevy111 1/2 ton status

Are you still looking for a top?

11. bp71k5

Yea, still sorta looking. I do have one currently that is pretty trashed. I was planning on totally rebuilding it, but I'd be willing to trash it if a not-to-expensive one were available. :)

12. chevy111

chevy111 1/2 ton status

I have one thats in really good shape. No breaks or anything. Im going to use it for about a month but would be willing to see it later. It has a hairline crack that runs down the middle but is really small. I don't think it needs to be fixed but it could easily be. Let me know if you are interested and ill get you pic. I wont want more than 500 for it.

13. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

OK, maybe it's because I live where we get an average of 115 inches of snow per season, but your in california, why do you even need a hardtop?

14. bp71k5

Good question!

1. The ride on trails when sitting in the back seat is much smoother with the weight back there to balance against the stiff suspension.
    2. I like having all the original parts when and if I ever sell it.
    3. It does rain here every once in a while and keeping the soft top sealed up can get tricky. It's not all sunshine over here.
    4. I can tell my friends "Look, I can take the hard top off!" :wink1:

I'm actually in the middle of repairing the hatch which is coming along pretty well. I'm thinking it might be a fun challenge to fix the top as well. It will involve splitting it in half down the middle where the big sag is and reinforcing it back to the original shape and then replacing a missing section over the passenger door. Probably lots more work than it's worth, but at least I'll have lots of pictures + of fiberglass in my eyes.

15. bp71k5

You'll probably be able to get more than $500 for it in Cali. You might even get over $1k (in SF bay area) if it's straight and as good a condition as you say. Let me know when you decide to sell or not and PM me some pictures.

16. chevy111

chevy111 1/2 ton status

Im not looking to make a bunch of cash. Just want it to go to someone who needs it for a reasonable price. Im looking at a single wall and want to recoupe some of the money. Ill let you know.

17. bp71k5

No problem, let me know. It's raining now and my new seats are soaked even with the soft top on. :mad:

18. chevy111

chevy111 1/2 ton status

What kind of top do you have? I Have a kayline fastrack in the box right now. I have been considering selling it and running only a hard top. I dont want to deal with the body flex I have had with my blazer because of no top.

19. bp71k5

Have you seen the body flex or just heard about it? Mine isn't too bad. The usual place at the top of the wing windows hits the windshield frame on really big jolts. But the body already sags a bit from old bushings.

I've got a pretty old STC fas-trac top. (I think it is the same as the kayline). It's works pretty well, but the zippers that keep the side windows on are coming loose at the stitching. There's also a few tiny holes that leak a lot of water. I ended up using some black silicon sealant to fix some of those.

The top itself is a really nice design and I'd love to buy a new fabric portion if and when the company revives itself. I guess I could have someone use the old one as a template to re-create it too.

The one complaint about the top is the area around the door windows. That bar and wingnut part never fits right and is where most of the water gets through.

I'm looking at fabbing some kind of custom hardware around the window the same shape as the hard top so the window seals correctly. I got the idea that I might be able to cut out the window sill portion on the hardtop and have the softtop velcro/snap onto it.

20. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Take the softtop to a boat canvas shop, they can fix the zippers and the holes.