Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wanted/looking for Donor truck

Discussion in 'Parts & Trucks Wanted' started by bad_bo_ti, Jun 19, 2004.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

I might be selling my 93 chevy finally and am thinking of buying my brothers 84 gmc 3/4 4x4 it has a 305 th350 and not sure on x-case, if i get it i am wanting to put a 350 or bigger motor and would like a sm465 tranny and probably a nice 205 t-case. truck needs rear spring hangers too. prefer local (ohio) area. would go in with somebody to buy a parts vehicle if needed or would consider buying an old parts vehicle. thanks, chris also my price range i am looking for is around the cheap area!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif i know most of you guys are familar with that. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

with 205 and 465 your donor choices are very narrow im pretty usre only 80 and 72 older would be the only years youll see find a 465 205 combo

72 older wont work as donor for a 73 up because the crossmembers and mounts are way different, at leats for the 465 trannies i know, and i know that the 73-up frame rails under the cab and front of bed area are a tiny hair wider and tiny hair taller, the rail channel itself,

if you put a 72 older frame rail and a 73-up frame rail side by side and measure closely you will find this out.
    because of this you cant fit a 73 up trans crossmember inside the rails of a 72 older rail,
    i dont know how much all this would affect 4x4 crossmember swaps from 72 older to 73 up though, i know the above is all true for 2wd from personal experience i have taken apart and cut up a billion 67-87 trucks, and doen alot of things like weighed bare frames various wheelbases and such, and measured crossmembers and fram rails dimensions etc and have all the info stored soemwhere around here, and also collected alot of frame rails stamping numbers codes too.
    i didnt do it since day one but i started around 99 or so, but by then i had cut up three times as many trucks than i have since then, so i dotn have a ton of numbers and such but a decent start anyways, but i have the future now to keep on collecting info

im just hopign to be helpful somehow, even though i havent yet, haha
    :P

good luck

3. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

alirght, thanks for the info, i atleast want a 465 i am not to picky on the x-case though. chris

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

You have a few options:

1973-80 K10,20,30 - SM465/NP205 with a figure 8 adapter and 10 spline coupling between the tranny and tcase that is prone to wear (with 1980 being a slip yoke only).

1980's K30 SM465/NP205. Somewhere in the 80's they switched to a round pattern adapter and a long 32 spline input on the NP205.

Another option is to buy a mid 80's K10 or K20 with a SM465/NP208 which has a round adapter and 32 spline shaft. Then adapt a short input 32 spline NP205 (TH400 version or convert a small bearing 10 or 27 spline NP205) and use with the early figure 8 adapter. ORD was in the process of developing a spacer to make this combo work.

5. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've got a set of rear hangers out and ready to go. Pm me with an offer. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif