Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wanted: Misc 700r4/208 parts, shifter, mounting etc

Discussion in 'Parts & Trucks Wanted' started by Xtremjeepn, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Xtremjeepn

Xtremjeepn 1/2 ton status

I seem to be missing some parts to install a 700r4/208 in my 74 chevy truck. I need a shifter, transmission mounting bracket/cross member, front drive shaft.

OR
    I need a spacer to make my 203 fit the 700r4.
    303-359-7469

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I have a driveshaft I'd sell for $40 and a shifter missing the screws to hold it to the floor I'd sell for $10. For the crossmember is your truck a 1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton? 1/2 and 3/4 ton use the same crossmember and 1 tons use a different one (at least in 74). Are you needing the tranny/tcase adapter too?

3. Xtremjeepn

I took out a th350/203 and went to mount the 700r4/208. My crossmemeber falls about 4 inches too low to meet up with the transmission. Like there is part of the 208 adapter missing. (truck is a 3/4 "camper special").

So the first thing I need to figure out is how this is supposed to mount.

4. kennyw

Are you trying to reuse the original crossmember from your TH350/203? That could cause that problem. There is also a rubber isolator between the tranny adapter feet and the crossmember. Do you have that?

5. Xtremjeepn

Yes, trying to reuse the crossmember. Nothing I have read here indicated switching cross members. I do have the rubber mounts. But maybe there is a different one?

6. Xtremjeepn

Do you have pictures of the 208 shifter? Idea what it would cost to ship to 80224?

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

There are 2 kinds of 208 adapters, tall that works with your old cross member, and short which you have now and need a different cross member.
    I have both cross members and both adapters, let me know if you need either.
    As for the shifter I have one but Kenny is first and mine is not that cheap :D

8. kennyw

Crossmember is your problem. There are different crossmembers for the 700R4 in the mid 80's. The '74 crossmember is basically straight across with a slight rise to meet the frame. The 80's they had a W shape most commonly so it rose up in the center to meet the tranny adapter. If you get one from that era off of a 1/2 or 3/4 ton it should fit better.

I can get pics later... right now its installed in my truck and coming out in favor of a 465/205.

I even have a crossmember you need as well coming out soon... I could do a package deal on the crossmember, front driveshaft, and shifter for $100 shipped.

9. kennyw

Just remember mine is cheap because its missing screws... nothing you couldn't dig up yourself, but its a pain to get into 4wd when the base plate moves on the floor. :haha:

10. Xtremjeepn

I guess the question is "how soon" will you have them all out?

Thanks for the help guys.

11. kennyw

Driveshaft is already out... shifter would take all of 2 minutes to pull since there are no bolts. Crossmember I would just need to double check and see if I have an extra laying around, I might still have one if it didn't go with the last load of scrap metal. If I don't have the extra crossmember I wouldn't have it out for probably a month as I need to keep the truck mobile until I'm done rebuilding the 465/205.

12. Xtremjeepn

I might just have to build a custom x-member. That may be the easiet way. Need to get the truck mobile pretty soon.

I will let you know about the shifter.