Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wanted: pointers on steering box weld in kit

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by spearchucker, Apr 9, 2004.

1. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I've got an 89 Jimmy and getting ready to install a weld in frame repair kit and install the brace from ORD. There aren't any frame cracks that I can see. I've got a welder coming over to weld the kit in. I'm just wondering what needs to be removed and prepped before he comes over. Also any problems, hints or tips that you care to share would also be alot of help. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

go to the front page here & look @ the project vehicle. There's a link that shows it. Being new here I just happen to run across it last night /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

4. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Make sure to get the steering shaft mated to the gearbox as you install the gearbox. Once the gearbox is installed, the shaft can't be attached. Also, make sure the steering shaft is oriented properly to the gearbox. On my 83, it could be 180 degrees out and you'll never know until you find the steering wheel upside down. Everything has to come apart to correct this situation.

I just did this, minus the weld in part, this weekend. Let me know if you have a question I can help with.

5. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Make sure you have a BF'n hammer, youll need it.