Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wanted to thank misfit

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, May 25, 2001.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I was in a hurry before I broke my hand trying to gather parts. At the last minute I decided to do a disk break conversion, and figured out how to make his backing plate work with calipers that had an e-break.

I asked him at the last minute, and aslo asked him to ship before he recieved my payment. He did so with no complaints on my honor that I had sent the disclaimer and money.

Thanks misfit, and the parts are incredible!

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Thats the ColoradoK5 thing for ya!

Twiztid

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Yep, I gotta thank Misfit too. Good ole U.S. Postal Service destroyed the shipping envelope the disc brake brackets and spacers came in. They handed every thing to me in a plastic trash bag at the post office!
    Of course now I have only 4 spacers instead of 8. Dropped Brian a note and he took care of me, no problem. Thanks Brian! Now than I've got the rest of parts I need, just gotta make time...

Dan W.

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

4. solowookie

my shipping envelope was destroyed too, but he took the spacers and wired them onto the backing plates. everything was together and there!

5. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Hey solowookie-- what do you mean you figured out a way to make them work with an e-brake caliper? they wouldnt normally work with a caddy caliper?? I might be doing the conversion with misfits plates, so I am curious.

6. solowookie

well thats exactly it I wasn't aware the caddy calipers would work w/ his backing plates.

I tell ya what I had a very difficult time finding the caddy cals. I tried napa first, then all parts stores in the area, and I finally called TSM. They have the cals, but they are not in stock! I finally order them from TSM, but I gotta wait until they get an order it.

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

When you get them in and set up, let me know. I'm going to have to tackle that job on myself soon. I'm not sure what to use for the e-brake cables, I'm thinkin that thy will have to custom fabbed. Eather way- take a pic for us.

How's the hand doing?

Twiztid

8. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

I also got a pair of "Misfits" plates and I'm very much satisfied. The envelope was also destroyed but nothing was missing. (Whew!)

No question about the quality of the plates! It's there!

As for calipers, I got mine from Advance Auto Parts for $65 +$5 core.

Now, as others, I got to figure out which E-brake cables to use.

I have a question about the rest of the brake system. Is there something that has to be changed i.e. prop valve or residual pressure valve? Just wonderin'!

For those thinking about "Misfits" plates, you won't be disappointed!

Thanks,

Ron

9. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

There is alot more that needs to be considerd when doing a drum to disc brake swap. I havn't traveld down that road yet, so I don't know exactly what needs to be done. But these are some of the things that -may- need to be changed;

1- Master cyl. A disc/disc master cyl might be needed to replace the disc/drum master cyl. Disc brake displace alot more fluid then drum brake wheel cyl. So if you reuse the old disc/drum master cyl- you will probably have a very low brake pedel

2- Brake porortioning. Ditch the stock prop valve and install an adj brake prop valve, so you can "dial" in the rear brake preasure to aviod rear lock up.

3- Check ball. Somewhere in a disc/drum brake sys. there should be a check ball of somesort, it might be in the master cyl, or the prop valve, or in the lines. This check ball in a disc/drum sys, holds a slight fluid pressure in the rear brake lines to "preload" the rear wheel cyls against the brake shoe return springs. If you change to disk brake without removeing the check ball- the pads might always be slightly rideing the roter.

4- Brake preasure warning switch. Some states have a brake light check for safty inspections, and its just not a bad idea to have one anyway.

I haven't done this swap yet, so i'm not postive of what needs to be changed, but the list above should be considerd.

Has anyone done a rear disc brake swap here? and what did they end up useing/changeing?

Twiztid

10. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Anybody gonna do a write-up? I'm sure you guys took some pics. I wanna see.

[image]http://www.pirate4x4.com/ubb/smilies/beer.gif[/image]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.savage1.coloradok5.com>http://www.savage1.coloradok5.com</A>

11. solowookie

I asked the question about master cyl, and prop. valvue and most here said they usually don't need swapped...
    I am a bit curious about the ball whatever you said pre-loads the system.

I have been using the following link for a template; it's project potent rodent. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.off-road.com/chevy/reviews/tsm/>http://www.off-road.com/chevy/reviews/tsm/</A>

this link also provides info on a custom e-brake cable.

12. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

Solo,
    I think the check valve Twizted is referring to is the residual pressure valve. Sometimes this is found in the master cylinder. Not a major problem to remove! I've heard they can be at the prop valve. Being new to the K5 scene, I'm not sure where it's located!

Peace. Out.

Ron

13. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I gotta say I'm with Twiztid on this one. I was one of the guys who responded that the prop valve needs to be replaced.

Anyhow, if I'm not mistaken, the residual valve should be in the prop valve.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

14. BadDog

BTW, I was telling one of the guys on "off-road" about misfits brackets. Maybe he will get some more business from over there. I’ve had to delay my project since it's budget (and then some) went up in smoke but I’ll keep him in mind, sounds like a cool guy...

Bad Dog

15. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Jeff (solo), Let me know how the disc brake swap works out! I've got the same calipers, and roters. Thanks for the link.

Baddog, Sucks running your own biz, huh! (taxes)

Twiztid

16. BadDog

You said it dude... [​IMG]

Bad Dog