Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WANTED: your opinions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by juanblzer, Apr 23, 2003.

1. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

Help me out guys and gals...

I have:
    1 - 89'k1500gmc (running motor, working t-case, good rearend, body is great, tranny has pooped its pants)

1 - c/10 1970 twowheel drive (deceased grandfather's worktruck) running 350, tiny carb,working t-350, 12bolt rearend, no power steering or power brakes) I want to revive this truck badly as it has much sentimental value...Perhaps a badass prerunner using the 1989s frame?

1 - very modified blazer (700r4, np208, rottenchester quadrajunk (just kidding but I really want fuel injection)

WANTED: YOUR IDEAS ON COMBINING THE BEST OF THESE RIGS (oh and I don't want to stop driving my blazer for long... really I just want to add fuelinjection and leave it alone...well at least the drivetrain anyway.

Oh, and I spoke to Randy over at www.randyellisdesign.com and he said the c/10s linked rear with coils is really easy to trick out and can acheive something like 14 inches of travel. I guess it might be worth keeping. I just hate the idea of having drum front brakes (and manual to boot) and manual steering. That sucks. I'm even toying with cutting the front of the c/10s frame off and using the 89s front frame section to replace it. Is this doable?

ANY AND ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

sounds like a ton of WORK!!!

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I think I'd make a hot rod street truck out of grampa's old work truck. Lowered front end (Sence it's 2wd) ,but not too low, and leave the rear at stock hight. Build up the motor, do some custom body work like shaved handles, wild paint, ...ect.

4. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

since the 70 has coil springs on the front, stick a ford 44 under it, use the motor, tranny (fix it) and transfer under it from the 89, convert it to six lug using chevy parts and convert to discs with power brakes at the same time, also convert to power steering, then take the hulk of 89 to the junkyard and use it to trade for a tbi set up for the blazer and have a cool tow rig and dedicated wheeler /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

no lowering or hotrodding for the c-10. In my opinion its been over done and I want to make a prerunnerish righ out of it. That's really the only thing I don't want to do /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

could a longbed c-10 actually tow my blazer? This ideas sounds promising but it is a coiled a-arm front right now. Swapping in a dana 44 sounds like a lot more work.

7. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

but wouldnt he have to get a ford t-case since the ford axles have the pumpkin on the opposite side?

Later

8. fourwheelerjeff

not if he uses the set up from the 89, it is the newer body style /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    could a longbed c-10 actually tow my blazer?

[/ QUOTE ]
    perhaps with a 14bolt and a t-400, oh and the 89 had IFS 4wheel drive so I guess a ford 44 would work.

10. fourwheelerjeff

i have towed several blazers with an 87 1/2 ton 2wd truck, just take it easy, using both a tow bar and trailer /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

the 44 will hook up fairly easy, the radius arm brackets bolt to the frame, swap 8 lug outers on it and use a 14 bolt rear, but then you have to make the rear fit the coils

11. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

A buddy of mine just converted a 90 2wd truck into a 4wd. It looks awsome. I think there are still pics of the build up on another page. I think it is web page look for dan and Kim's Ranger and Blazer in the pics area. I can't ask him any questions about it due to him being in the dessert right now. But I do remember him saying it wasn't hard and he would do it again before triin to build one that was already 4x.

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I really like Jeff's idea, with one exception. I'd keep the 12 bolt rear and just convert the rear to disc's for better stopping (in regards to seeing tow rig duty) Maybe a SF 14 at the most if you just had to swap in a stronger rear end.

Rene

13. fourwheelerjeff

i wasn't real keen on the 14 bolt, i was hoping that to make it work would dissuade him from that /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

plus the rear is ready to go, just get the front together /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

my 89' is already 4x4...
    I'm wondering if I sould just transplant all the front suspension from it (along with brakes and power steering to my c-10) /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

15. fourwheelerjeff

do you really want IFS /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

16. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

not really... but it's already there. and it will be just for a daily driver / tow rig (it will keep me from wheeling it too hard (yeah right)

17. fourwheelerjeff

i have seen this, i am trying to remember more specifics, measure (if you can) the distance on the ford front and the chevy frame, i think it is pretty close to the same, change to 6 lug front, i can't remember when the 2wd chevy's went to 5 lugs, if it is, no problem, get some 6 lug rear shafts and brake drums or convert to discs

the blazer for hard core and the truck coil sprung at all 4 corners for playing /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

ok, Im confused
    I don't have a ford front axle...yet
    the 89' is 4x4
    the c-10 is 2wd
    there has to be a way because I've seen old trucks with corvette front suspension/steering

19. fourwheelerjeff

[ QUOTE ]
    ok, Im confused
    I don't have a ford front axle...yet
    the 89' is 4x4
    the c-10 is 2wd

[/ QUOTE ]

i understand that, i just meant if you had a buddy with a bronco or could maybe measure one at a junkyard, the one i am thinking of didn't have to do any frame mods to his chevy, except for the radius arm brackets and they bolt to the frame, i think it was running 35 inch bfg's on it, i am just full of ideas for your project /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

not really trying to be a pita /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

20. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

oh, ok
    nah, I didn't mean anything by it... I'm trying to figure a plan of attack on these rigs /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif