Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wantin to do an 8" susp, on 84' k-5. Little help please?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Mar 21, 2002.

Wantin to do an 8\" susp, on 84\' k-5. Little help please?

Im pretty new to the 4-wheelin lifestyle. I just got my Blazer for christmas and it is awesome, only thing is, my ride is stock, and I wanna do an 8 inch suspension lift on 40's (of course, I'll be doin some major fender trimmin too.) Can anyone tell me EVERYTHING, that I'm gonna need to get to do this lift, i wanna get it as cheap as possible too. Thanks very much for your help.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Re: Wantin to do an 8\" susp, on 84\' k-5. Little help please?

for 40"s I'd be looking for some one ton running gear.
    Cheap 8" would be Genuine Suspension, or look at tuff country fronts and a flip 4" spring rear.
    Drivelines might need some work and make sure your tranny and t-case are solid

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Once you get above 6" it gets expensive. I have 6" suspension and a 3"body lift for a total of 9" and clear 38 Swampers. The kits themselves are a lot more. The stuff you need to get, like steering arm, new shafts ETC are about the same for 6 or 8". The ride is a bit softer on a 6" too.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

With 40" tires, you will need 1 ton running gear, and lower gearing that way you can spin those big meats in the mud. A good healthy motor helps too.

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Do a 6" suspension lift and a 2" body lift to get you 8"s. 8" lifts give you crappy driveline angles. With a 6" lift you might get away with not having to extend driveshafts.
    BTW if you plan on wheeling and are still a full blazer (5,000 + lbs) go at least 3/4 ton, if not 1 ton.

5. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

If you are new to wheelin' what could you possibly need 40''s for? I can climb bigger rocks/dunes/rice burners than my buddies with their 40''+ tires and I only run 35''s w/7'' of lift. If you stay in the 36'' or less range you can still do some pretty hard wheelin without breaking your axles. Another trick is to run the biggest tire you can with the smallest amount of lift i.e. 4'' w/36''s. If you just want your truck to look bigger, go with a 6'' lift and some 36x14.5's and even throw on a 2'' or 3'' body lift, that way you dont have to screw with axles and driveshafts (things like that get real expensive real fast!)

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

cheapest way I can see to get 40s on ur rig would be to buy a 70s 1-ton chevy truck for donor parts... and then swap in its axles under ur K5... maybe the tcase to depending on what it is. Worry about lift etc after that... cause going 1-ton is the spendy/hard part.

J

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Not to put a damper in your dreams, I would recommend you to start out SMALL first.

Being new to the 4x4 scene, one should not just "jump" straight to 40" tires and 8" lift when they have no experience driving a vehicle like this.

You should start out driving and playing around with the stock setup first.

Gradually work your way up as you get the feel and experience of your truck and its capabilities.

I would start out stock and then work my way up to 4" lift and 33" tires.

Then go up to around 6" and 35" tires to "learn" more.

Finally after driving and getting the feel of everything, go ahead and do the 8" lift and 40" tires. But take it slower at first. 40" tires are waayyy different than 31" tires. You need to allow more distance for braking. You need more "response" for steering and most importantly, KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN!!

For a beginner to jump straight to big tires and lift and then something tragic happen due to inexperiences, this is one of the common rules of big trucks...learn as you go along. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

What you need to do what you posted: (IMHO)

6" front springs
    2" Rear Springs
    4" ORD Shackle Flip
    2" Body Lift
    Settering box weld and bolt in brace
    X-over steering
    40" Tires (TSL's, Ground Hawgs, Gumbo's, etc)
    New Driveline with CV joints
    14B FF with atleast 4.10's
    D60 Front
    Roll bar/cage of some sort

Funny, that is what i have only I am going with a 4" rear spring and a 2.5" shackle flip...and sans the body lift
    still need the $$$ for the X-over/forums/images/icons/frown.gif