Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wanting info on 2000 yukon

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Nov 7, 2006.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

The wife and I traded in her 05' civie for a 2000 gmc yukon, I am tying to talk her into lifting it a bit, but cant seem to find too much info on it, if you guys can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated, also if you might have some pics you could post up that would be sweet to. ill try to get some pics up soon!

2. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

2000+ body style, or 92-99 body style?

Both are IFS, so the "little" lifts just basically crank teh hell out of the t-bars =baddd.

the 4" and 6" kits are not cheap, but there are some decent ones. Remember, your dealing wiht 1/2 ton IFS, so 35's are you MAX tire unless you want to break lots of stuff.

If you really just want an inch or 2, body is going to be the way to go.

FYI, stock, you can fit 285/75 16's on stock rims. Basically a 33" tire. On aftermarket rims they will rub though, due to the backspacing change.

3. JpEater

JpEater 1/2 ton status

I put 305/70R16 Nitto Terra Grapplers on my brothers 2000 Tahoe without any problem. Just crank the torsion bars til the truck sits level and you wont have any problem. Check your drop stop to upper control arm clearance and make sure that you have at least about 3/8". If not the take some off of the torsion bars. If it is too close it will cause the control arm to hit the drop stop when you hit a bump and the suspension extends which could break ball joints. I could have put 315's on with a little trimming.

4. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

Its the 2000+ body style, looking at getting some mock bead lock polished alum wheels and some 35" bfg m/ts it will be a totally on road rig, the only time the 4wd should be engaged will be in snow and ice. We jst want this one to look nice, not to abuse at all, we got the shortbox on boggers to tear up on. so any links or pics anyone may have would be awesome. thanks

5. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

To fit 35's, you'll need a 4 or 6" lift.
    The current petersons 4 wheel and off road issue has a test with 9 of the different IFS chevy lifts. I'd check it out, and buy one off of their reccomendations.

6. The Butcher

The Butcher 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You're going to need a 6 inch kit for 35's (or a Rancho 4" which is essentially a 6 anyway). I put an RCD 6" on my '03 2500 Suburban and I absolutely love it. My mechanic said it was the best made kit he had ever installed, and it came with Bilsteins. It rides great.

Tough Country or one of the other manufacturers came out with a no-torsion bar drop kit that got good reviews in a recent Petersons. It essentially keeps the torsion bars in the stock location and uses a leverage system for suspending the A-arms. It looks pretty trick.

RockKrawler has a bad-a$$ looking coilover conversion system if you really want to go balls-out, but it will set you back about $4,000 just for the kit. However, it is 8.5" of lift, and you should be able to clear 37's with that.

I'll try and find some pics of my suburban and post them so you can see the RCD lift. Or, you can go to their website racecardynamics.com and look around.

7. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

you are going to need a 6" lift to clear 35's. also don't forget you will need to regear it. and get a hypertec or something similar to adjust for the gearing change and tire height change. post the vin# and I can get you a build sheet if you didn't get the original window sticker.