Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wanting to buy a Blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazer nut, Jun 27, 2004.

1. blazer nut

blazer nut Newbie

I am new to this forum and know little about Blazers. I have wanted a Blazer with the removable top for as long as I can remember. My questions are, what years are the best to own? I know this is personal preference, but I was hoping I could get a little more info. I want a convertible hard top with a roll bar and one capable of good offroading. Did they come from the factory with roll bars? I do not know what years would be good to own. What web sites could you recommend for me to visit to learn more about the Blazer? Are there any good sites that show the evolution of the Blazer and list all differences and options through the years? Thanks for the help.

2. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

Anything pre 1976 is full convertible. This IS without a doube the best place ANYWHERE to learn about Blazers. I'm fairly new also and these guys are GREAT.

Welcome,
    /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif
    Fred

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've owned a couple of fullsize Blazers, with out a doubt, the 72 is my fav. But with any year of Blazer, modified suspension, and axles go along way in the cool factor. My 72 had a 6" Suspension lift, + 2" body lift, 1 ton axles, 454, sm465/NP-205 and 38" tires. Damn, I miss that truck !!!!!

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Welcome /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Yes there were optional roll bars available in older models, not as good as an aftermarket or good homemade cage. Any year Blazer will be nice to own , I love them all. I do suggest looking for a truck that is bone stock and intact . Sometimes you never know how the owner took care of , or performed the work, on a lifted truck. Have fun with whatever year you choose /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I like the 87 to 91 blazers because they came with fuel injection. They have a removable shell but the metal roof above you stays on. I would be scared in an early blazer that had the whole top removeable, I like to have the metal above me when I roll.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

7. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What web sites could you recommend for me to visit to learn more about the Blazer?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want good info about Blazers then check this site out.

If I had a choice I'd get a smog exempt Blazer, so that'd depend on where you live that determines that (hint: fill out profile /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif). Basically, it doesn't really matter what axles, motor, tranny, xcase it has because you'll get addicted and start swapping parts. Just find something that has a solid frame and rust free, straight body.
    And don't forget to check around the steering box for cracks in the frame. I can't tell you how many Blazers I looked at for a friend of mine and every one of them was cracked. Pretty scary when you think about it. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif