Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wanting to clean up engine and engine bay...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Lotsa_Faith, Jul 21, 2003.

1. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

My engine looks like Medusa and my engine bay is all different colors, I'd like to clean them both up when I take my engine out to rebuild it. What kind of paint would I use to paint the engine bay and block? And also, is there any way I can get rid of some of those vacuum lines, cause they're ALL OVER THE PLACE...

2. LoggieStyle

LoggieStyle Registered Member

Your local parts store should carry high-heat engine enamel. It comes in plenty of different colors. Thats probably the best paint to use on and near the engine.

Logan

3. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

I use a stainless steel coating on a lot of my parts. It's not really a paint, but a coating with stainless steel particles in it. Works great, looks great, can handle temperatures up to 500F, and it's REALLY tough. $15 a can though. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif The company I buy it from says it's used in the aerospace industry a lot. Here's the link it's called Amer-Steel.

4. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

How'd ya make out with your fuel starvation prob? Did the filter do the trick? I never heard back from you, so I figured that did it...When are ya gonna pull yer motor?

5. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

If Your'e gonna repaint the engine bay, I would use black "satin" paint. It does'nt show all the scratche's, area's that were'nt prepped well, greasy splotche's, etc. Like gloss black doe's, and flat black is just nasty lookin.

Get some Chevy orange "ceramic" to paint the engine, it's a two stage, first the color go's on,[ it drie's very fast] and then a few coat's of clear on top of that. Mine was painted with that over a year ago, and it still look's nice, and even still shiny. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

hell, i painted my truck with engine enamel. it's easy to re-paint and it was the only company that had the color i wanted. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

You think your's is bad....

[​IMG]

Add a new plugs, Chrome air filter, and repaint the brake booster, repaint the block with Chevy orange high temp paint and then shoot everything else with black, while your at it remove your windshield's and over flow tank and scrub them clean. Then top it off with 5 bucks worth of new wire loom and a new blue hose kit /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

When you paint, you're suppose to place the plastic over the engine bay, not the fenders. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

Well the fuel starvation thinks seems to be off and on right now, I can't tell. I also decided to tear my meniscus in my knee, so I'm do for surgery thursday, haven't been in the truck since last wednesday. I was gonna buy a rebuild kit w/cam, flat top pistons, lifters, roller rockers etc. and take it out before school, but now I don't think I'll be fully functional for 10 weeks...So I'm thinkin maybe Xmas...lovely how things never work out...