Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wanting to do a winter resto!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dirty77, Oct 7, 2006.

1. dirty77

dirty77 Registered Member

ok guys this is going to be my first attempt at this. i have a 77 jimmy stock 350/350t/np203/44/12b. how hard is it to take the body off the frame. i would like to stengthen the frame. i was going to box it but my friend says its not worth the time. and suggestions?? and any other suggestions while its apart. any info would be awesome.:o

2. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Stock resto? Or build it up for the trail?

3. 2High4U

2High4U 1/2 ton status

4. dirty77

dirty77 Registered Member

i want to build it for the trail. it only gets driven on the road to get from trail to trail.

5. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

I haven't heard too many people thrilled by their boxing efforts. I gather the payoff isn't worth the effort. But that is third hand info. A well built, flexy suspension can take the onus off the frame.

6. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Is it currently driveable? If it is start with another frame. box it, paint or powdercoat it. install the suspension you want. run new brake and fuel lines. Install everything that you can before you swap the body.

Or you can call Matkins and for lots of money they will send you a newly boxed frame ready to go. I priced it, something like $5000. they will do almost anythng you want though. already have a shackle flip. built in 1 inch body lift. move axles forward or back. move the engine.

I would start with a donor frame. that way you can drive your rig. boxing a frame is not easy. there are a lot of things to take into consideration. lots of crossmembers to work around. lines that need to be moved. less room for exhaust around the T-case. less room around the gas tank. everything has to bolt all the way through both sides instead of one layer of steel.

now that I think about it brace the steering box and call it a day. Frames that are riveted together are designed to flex.

7. chevyguybc

chevyguybc 1/2 ton status

they may be designed to flex, but im building new crossmembers all down it, with grade 8 bolts.. and it will still flex, but very minimally, very importent for my soon to be fully caged fully convertable 77

8. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

ONE way to really stiffen the frame is to build a multi-triangulated roll cage that mounts directly to the frame. Start with the first 'X' in the front (radiator area), then work your way back until you finish with the last 'X' at the tailgate area. You will have a VERY stiff frame as well as a very protective roll cage.