Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

War protestors: saw some live today

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Feb 15, 2003.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

My wife, daughter, and I went to Grand Central Station in NYC today for lunch/dinner. I forgot there was a hemp product convention around the U.N. building. I couldn't believe how many people were walking around with anti-war signs. I think my wife was getting annoyed with me, I was having a little fun, saying stuff about the signs and the protestors a little too loud.

I got the idea too late (in the car driving home), but once I got it I was dying:
    I wanted to say to one of the protestors:
    "Hey, haven't you guys watched the news today? Bush started calling all our troops back, Saddam signed a deal with the U.N. and he's stepping down. We aren't going to war anymore." Hopefully they wouldn't know the difference, being out protesting like bungholes all day, so it'd be fun if the dork I said it to went running to tell the others and they all got excited. Then when they get home, flip on the news and see nothings changed... I'm cracking up thinking about it right now...

Funny thing is, all the protestors looked like they were in the same class of smelly hippies. Some of them looked like they had no clue what they were protesting, just that it was trendy or that it was a way to rebel against authority. We even saw a mentally challenged (can't quite remember the PC term for retarded) guy walking around holding his sign up (inside the train station, where everyone had thier signs rolled up and they were waiting for thier trains).

BTW, Remember that when you start getting pissed at these anti-war protestors. Most of them are just mindless numbers. Joe doesn't want war, so he organizes a protest and gets billy, suzy, and harry to march with him, even though they couldn't give a crap, they're just marching cause it'll piss off thier dad, or thier buddy Joe needs them to be there...

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Every Sunday for about the last four months, there's been some protesters gathering at a street corner here in town. Most of them look like they were doing the same thing back in 1968. I have thought about making some copies of a poster I have and giving them some. Says something like "How about supporting our side for a change you liberal moron!"

3. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

When ever I see protestors I like to holler

FRAG OUT

5. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

So what you are saying is that you and people like you are the only ones who get to express thier opinions and everyone else should just go home and shut up? Is that what conservatives are all about? ME ME ME and no one else...

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    all the protestors looked like they were in the same class of smelly hippies

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you go over and smell them? Is it illegal to be a hippy now? You are starting to sound just like Saddam! "If you don't think like me I will kill you"

Most of them are just mindless numbers

[/ QUOTE ]

Equal rights to all... Mindless or not... Who are you to judge?

so he organizes a protest and gets billy, suzy, and harry to march with him

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you know this? Are you a mindless reader? Isn't thier protesting what this country all about? Or are you thinking that we should all think alike and damn everyone who doesn't think like you?

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

people like you are the only ones who get to express thier opinions and everyone else should just go home and shut up? Is that what conservatives are all about? ME ME ME and no one else...

[/ QUOTE ]

I would prefer to call it logic. I didn't see a good expression of opinions in the protestors, I saw plays at freedom and democracy while hurling insults at opposition to thier cause. My response was like to the impression they cast. They could learn some manners and receive more respect from me. "ME ME ME" is not necessarily my slogan, I'm tolerant and even able to be swayed in opinion if the evidence will justify it against my argument. However, what I saw in person did not impress me as people that are making a positive contribution to our society. I would have been embarassed to share thier views if I agreed with their argument.

Did you go over and smell them?

[/ QUOTE ] After walking past the first few that smelled like that nasty bitter stuff in holistic shops, I'll admit I formed a prejudice. It was also simply a derogatory adjective, meant in a lighter-hearted figurative way, not so much literal. If you want to get technical, not all of them were hippies either, I just lumped all of them into the same outward impression most of them gave me.

Is it illegal to be a hippy now? You are starting to sound just like Saddam! "If you don't think like me I will kill you"

[/ QUOTE ]
    If I said I wanted to kill them, I would understand that comment. However, I said nothing of the sort, in fact only expressed much disrespect for them. I think you're going overboard, reading too deep into my disagreement with thier views. That kind of assumption and statement is made by a person exactly like you're accusing me of being. So are you the pot? Maybe you should have been there with them. Maybe you should reread the original post and try to catch the humorous undertone. I don't recall killing or death being mentioned, and I haven't edited it since reading your reply. Enlighten me as to how you know I'd like to kill them and justify your saddam comparison with your mind reading skills, please.

Equal rights to all... Mindless or not... Who are you to judge?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I am as much an American citizen to judge them as they are to Judge our president. When the sign that said "Stop the Bush-it" is thrown away and replaced with a "I'll work the system instead of resorting to insults", I'll drop my judgement of them as a member of the herd.

In reply to:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so he organizes a protest and gets billy, suzy, and harry to march with him

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do you know this? Are you a mindless reader?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm not a mindless reader. I've been asked to participate in similar activites and been told "Don't worry about it, we just need the numbers", and I refuse on principle. Since most of the signs presented no reasoning, only insults and catchy slogans, I can only assume these people were part of the same train of thought. I'd be even more disappointd in them if each of them did firmly support what they were walking around for. As I said before, I can be convinced if the argument is convincing. If these people were at thier maximum trying to convince me or people like me, then their cause is lost on me.

Isn't thier protesting what this country all about?

[/ QUOTE ] In simplified form, yes. I didn't ask anyone to leave, and on another part of "what this country is all about", I expressed my disrespect for them, I didn't ask them to leave or say they were where they don't belong.

What is the major argument in the anti-war movement that I'm missing? All that I've seen so far are people that claim it's an oil war, and they claim so without fact. If they have fact, they haven't presented it.

I'm not "pro-war" but I'm not anti-war. I'm pro-logic, and right now, the most logical option we have is to nuetralize before we're nuetralized.

7. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

Well said!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Thanks for explaining your remarks. As far as the "Kill" thing is concerned, I only meant that you were starting to sound like Saddam in as much as he does not allow his people to think differently then he does. And if you do he will kill you. I've had many talks with some people from Syria who have explained to me what people in Iraq are going through. When you see them protesting us, most are doing it under threat of being killed. If left to express thier true feelings without the threat of being killed, they would not be what you see now...

Thanks for setting the record straight.