Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ware and tare of 12 bolt axle

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fivos, Feb 23, 2004.

1. fivos

fivos Registered Member

As you understand i'm looking for information on full size blazer axles. I have mentioned on previous post that i have found a pair of axles. Before i purchase it what should i look for worn parts and what about the c clip, all 12 bolt use this set up

2. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

do you have a D44 front and a twelve bolt rear? IRC open the diff covers and look for metal shavings in the lube. Spin the axles... if you can't something is fubared! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

ware and tare?

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I swapped in a 12 bolt axle, to replace my 28 spline ten bolt. The axles are 30 spline and taper gradually as opposed to ten bolt axles which taper down right away after bearing area. The 12 bolt is marginally stronger but with a locker and some good shaft you should be fine with normal use and wheeling up to 35 inch tires /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ware and tare?

[/ QUOTE ]

fivos is from Athens, Greece....cut him some slack. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Not trying to give him greif, thats why it's in a question form,,,was curious as to if this was done for a reason, or by mistake. Calm down.

7. fivos

fivos Registered Member

what i'm trying to say is how do i look out for worn out parts and which part would be most worn out, causing a problem in the future

8. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Hey fivos welcome! Look for leaks at the pinion seal, axle seals and wheel cylinders. Also check for "play" in the yoke, there should be none up and down or in and out. If there is excessive play back and forth it would suggest worn ring and pinion gears. Also make sure it has the same ratio as your front differential if you are using it in a 4 wheel drive.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Along with what bigyellowjimmy said, check for excessive play out at the axle bearings close to the brakes. Upon teardown of my old 12 bolt, I found that the axleshafts had some pretty good wear on the bearing surface. Give the axles a push side to side and up and down to see if there is movement. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. fivos

fivos Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Along with what bigyellowjimmy said, check for excessive play out at the axle bearings close to the brakes. Upon teardown of my old 12 bolt, I found that the axleshafts had some pretty good wear on the bearing surface. Give the axles a push side to side and up and down to see if there is movement. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

all 12 bolts may have that wear on the axleshafts or that happend to you because of weared bearings

11. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

all 12 bolts may have that wear on the axleshafts or that happend to you because of weared bearings

[/ QUOTE ]

All 12 bolts might have that wear. The axleshafts ride on those bearings. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

12. fivos

fivos Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All 12 bolts might have that wear. The axleshafts ride on those bearings. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

so you think that this is a weak point for 12 bolt

13. fivos

fivos Registered Member

also i had read somewhere that there is semi-floating and full-floating 12 bolt axles. how can i identify which is which

14. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    also i had read somewhere that there is semi-floating and full-floating 12 bolt axles. how can i identify which is which

[/ QUOTE ]
    Full float 12 bolts would be rarely if ever seen. These are actually created with aftermarket conversion kit. Warn was making it. In factory applications it would be 5 or 6 lug depending on 2wd or 4x4 truck. These factory axles are all semi-floating. Hope it helps /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

go to the home page of ck5....click on technicle,(i think)look at the axle identification chart,it will show you what is what.Good luck,and welcome!!!!Jake /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif