Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WARN 35-Spline Hubs.... Anyone understand WARNs part numbering scheme?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, Mar 26, 2002.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I read the article on OFFROAD.com about the 35-Spline Dana 60 upgrade and they were talking about the new hubs they used to complete the project.

The part #'s they used were:

#38787 - Single Hub for 9" Rear or D60FF Rear axle
    #38786 - Pair of Hubs for 9" Rear or D60FF Rear axle

These worked on their installation, but they have a "lock screw" and "blocker ring" since they are designed for a rear axle installation.

In speaking with fellow CK5 member "JK5"...I learned that Warn also offers a 35-Spline D60 Hub kit with the follwing part number:

# 62672 - A 35-Spline Hub specifically designed for a FRONT D60???

Most of the Warn Hubs on theire website use part numbers that start with the number "3".....this new kit starts with a "6", and I'm not sure what that represents.

At this point, I have two different part numbers from two trustworthy sources. I'd just like to know if someone can explain what the differences are between these? I tried downloading manuals from Warn, but their site doesn't even list a D60 in their application guide!!! Basically, their site is way out-of-date and not very useful for answering this question.

Any ideas?

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

If they have come out with something new (ie a hub actually designed for a 35-spline front) its highly likely that different people and different retailers might give u different info. If I really wantd to know, I'd go right to the source.... call Warn.

btw, when u find out, post the info here. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

J

3. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think Warn didn`t want to confuse anyone, most chevys are 30-spline, also probably a new part number, but if you think I have made a mistake, please go to the source, WARN (800) 543-9276.

4. Greg72

Jerry,

Actually I think you're RIGHT! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

The only thing that's making me nervous is the "not knowing" about their numbering scheme.

I know that you've spoken to them a couple of times....did they mention that this #62672 is "new" or that it was specifically released to provide a 35-spline FRONT hub solution? I guess that's what I'm hoping to find out....

The Offroad.com article mentioned that they managed to get a rear set of hubs to work. It just didn't seem as "clean" that way, so I was hoping to get a clarification that maybe the 3xxxx numbers represented "REAR" axle hubs, and the 6xxxx series was for fronts......or something like that.

Certainly no offense was intended by my original post, so I hope it wasn't taken that way.... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yes, it is a new product, but the number scheme...that is a good question...I don`t know....I`m going to put in an order 4 wheel Parts tomorrow. I should have the hubs early next week, I`ll let you know how they look! Would that calm your nerves?

6. Greg72

Jerry,

HA HA HA HA..... Yes, that would calm my nerves! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Thanks.

7. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

I have 35spline outers on my d60 and went with # 38786. This is the first I heard of the ones made specifically for 35spline outer D60s...(btw, as far as I know, no D60 front ever came with 35spline outers stock (ie ford, dodge and GM.)
    Anyhow, it works perfect and is "clean". So, since that seems to be your major concern, then you have no worries. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

All I did was removed the blocker ring...which takes like 2 seconds, literally, and put them in....

I don't know what they're pricing the new 35spline "specifically" made for d60 fronts for, but whichever one is cheaper, I would go with that. My bet, is the only difference between the two, is the older ones come with the blocker ring, and the newer ones don't.
    Boss

8. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

dana 60's never came w/ 35 spline outers, but the dana 70s did and that is what i thought you were getting hubs for, i mean the 35 spline stubs are made for dana 70's...right?

9. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Yeah, I know, that's what I said...D60's never came with 35spline stubs. (read my post above)

But, I pulled this from Shawn's article on the ORC board:

"The Warn hubs are actually made for the 9" or D60 full float rear kit."

So, I'm guessing that what the part # 38786 was made for.
    Boss