Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WARN 8274 Story

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by seattlek5, Mar 7, 2001.

1. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

I work in a RV and Fab shop in Lynnwood,WA. I was installing a Banks system on a 41' diesel pusher motorhome and due to circumstances beyond my control (wrong parts) couldn't finish the job before closing. This was a problem because the doors on the shop would not close would not close (40' shop.) I pulled the coach off the lift with a strap in 2LO no problem. The next morning I pulled my K5 up to the other side of the shop (has drive through access) and reeled out the cable. Using the hoist as wheel chocks, I single-lined it to the ramps. Then broke out the snatch block and double lined it up the ramps which are about 10" high (remember this is about 18,000 lb of coach.) The nose of my truck dropped about 4" when those tires started up the ramp and the winch started goaning a little, but it pulled it up onto the lift no problem. After that incident, I don't think any thing I encounter on the trail will phase it.

2. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    One battery, or two, high output alt. or stock ?

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well rolling load is not anywhere near stuck up to your headlights in the mud load. Regardles a 8274 is a great winch. I have ownly seen a couple problems with them and most were not even the winches fault. The closest to a winch problem I have seen is when its cold as in "water freeze cold" the paw the acts as a brake when you stop winching will freeze and get hung. The end result is you stop winching and it will free spool.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

4. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

I have an Interstate MTP-24 battery (just the one) and a stock GM 100-amp alt. If you call an Interstate warehouse and ask for blem batteries you can get them for pretty cheap with full warranty.