Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Warn 8274 winch question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bajaviking, Jan 6, 2003.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I just bought an older used Warn 8274(8000 lbs.) winch and the only problem with it is that the control box that goes on the cable coming out of the winch is missing. There are 3 cables coming out of it(black, white and green) and when I put them together the winch will pull but I am not sure how they go together. Also, why is there 3 cables, does this type winch have 2 speeds? I pulled another blazer with it so it pulls strong enough only I am not really sure about how to connect the new switch correctly. Please help! Also, if anybody knows this type of winch please let me know how it compares to other winches. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

that winch kicks butt. You can buy those control units. There are three post as one is power. The power is routed to forward or reverse. So three total. Hope this helps.

3. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Thanks, this is my first winch so any tips on how to maintain and service these things would be appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Hit Warns web site. They have all kinds of info there that should help you out. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. i_4x4

i_4x4 1/2 ton status

If you service it. Drain oil by spliting upper & lower case halves. When I did mine the first time 8 years ago, it had reminence of oil thick goo about 2 oz. This was a well used 8274. According to the build code it is a 1977 model. I cleaned it out refilled w/ non detergent 10w30 6 oz. as per Warn reccomendations. Grease the plastic cap at end of drum. Clean all electric connections. Hope this helps Ed. It is still PULLING STRONG 25 years later /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

I have the same winch /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

but I want to sell it to put money twards the drive train /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

and yes i kicks but too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif