Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Warn 9.5ti vs. Mile Marker E12000

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CyberSniper, Feb 28, 2004.

1. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

OK, I can get a Warn 9.5ti for $860 to my door or a Mile Marker E12000 for $600 to my door (at least until the $100 instant rebate goes away).

They are very comparable winches... except for the maximum pull.

They both have 2.5" diameter drums that are 9" long... which is especially hard on 3/8" (MM) cable and still isn't nice to 5/16" (Warn). The Mile Marker has a 265:1 gear ratio and a 5.5hp motor whereas the Warn has a 156:1 gear ratio and a motor of unknown horsepower.

The Warn carries 25' more rope. It weighs ~20lbs less. It tells you when it's about to cook the motor.

Ratings for the Warn:
    Pull (lbs) Speed (fpm)
    0 ........ 62
    2000 ..... 16.3
    4000 ..... 11.8
    6000 ..... 9.31
    8000 ..... 7.59
    9500 ..... 6.67

Layer Pull (lbs)
    1 ... 9500
    2 ... 8650
    3 ... 7920
    4 ... 7400
    5 ... 6940

Ratings for the Mile Marker:
    Pull (lbs) Speed (fpm)
    0 ........ 21.3
    2000 ..... 11.5
    4000 ..... 9.4
    6000 ..... 7.9
    8000 ..... 6.5
    10000 .... 5.7
    12000 .... 4.4

Layer Pull (lbs)
    1 ... 12000
    2 ... 9210
    3 ... 8030
    4 ... 6894

If there's one thing I've learned in all my searching on winches is that the ratings mean Jack and Sh*t. And Jack graduated.

If you look at the Mile Marker each layer of line closer you get to the drum is worth about 1200lbs more than the previous except the last layer. According to them instead of being worth 10,400lbs it is somehow rated for 12,000. All of Warn's winches have the same spacing between layers.

I'll probably end up getting the Mile Marker because I'm a cheap bastard but I was wondering if anyone else made the same observations as me. I only plan on buying one winch so I don't want to screw up and not be happy.

2. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

I have the milemarker cant tell you about reliability b/c Ive only made two pulls with but one was pulling the main trunk of an old oak tree (this thing was massive) up a hill and it pulled it up fairly easy

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I think it's a question of buying Craftsmen tools or Snapon, both are great, Craftsmn maybe a bit less, but not total crap, both have decent warranties, but you kow in your heart snap on is a bit better.

(I'm just guessing this from tool discussions I've read)

So what I mean is, they are both good winches, Warn a bit better, but the MM is cheaper and pulls more.

The MM is light for a 12k winch, I can lug it around ok on my winch cradle, but I wouldn't want to walk a block with it.

I haven't made any real pulls with mine but will update when I do

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Look for the <font color="red"> W </font> and you know it is good stuff.

5. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

Get off your wallet and buy the new 16.5ti /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I cant say i have a single complaint about my MM so far.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I personally prefer 3/8" over 5/16" and $600 over $900, so this one was a no-brainer for me.

7. CyberSniper

Yeah, seeing yours in action is what got me interested. I hadn't really considered it until then because Mile Marker makes good hydraulic winches... but electric is new to them. Plus the whole rating thing... looking like it should be rated for 10,400lbs instead of 12,000...

I've been eyeing that 16.5ti. I managed to find it for $1270 to my door. The cheapest I've found the M15000 is $1140 to my door. I know I'd spend the extra 130 bones for the 16.5ti instead of the M15000. I mean, to be able to pull 10,000lbs on the fourth layer... that'd be pretty cool.

You'd think Warn would've learned by now to make the drum wider though.

8. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Not to hijack but here's a question. If you double the line on an 8000 lbs. warn you have 16,000 lbs. capacity and half the line speed correct? If yes then why would you not go this route as opposed to a warn 15000. Your line speed is still faster on the doubled 8000 and more pull than the 15,000. Granted you will not have much rope with it doubled. Also understanding that you could double the 15000's rope and pull 30,000 but boy that would be slow. Most of the time when you winch you aren't using the full capacity of the winch anyway and if you needed it double the line through a snatch block and you can pull any full size. Just thinking out loud here.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

When you use a snatch block, you double your pulling power, and cut your line speed in half.

Most of the times I'll be using my winch I'll probably be more in danger of burning it out or overloading it than you think.

10. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I have never owned and used winches so I don't know how often they are overloaded. The friends that I have wheeled with have done some amazing things with their winches and to my knowledge have never burned one out. At one point There was a fullsize chevy and dodge stuck so we hooked the winch on a sami to the first(closest) fullsize and a tow rope to the second. Tied the sami to the tree and the 8000 lbs winch on the sami pulled out both trucks. I thought the frame of the sami would tear in half but it didn't and all were freed from the goo.

11. CyberSniper

Yeah, it'd be half the line speed. But the strength of the cable goes down real quick. To get 85% strength of the cable with the snatch block on 5/16" cable you'd need a 3.5" snatch block.

The whole snatch block thing is why I was considering buying a 9500lb winch. 90% of the time the winch would be sufficient... worst case you double line it. I want something that is going to last darn near forever with periodic maintenance (like new cable) and if you're using them at their max every time it seems like they tend to wear out. Most "abuse" related things are shock loads but overheating is a real possibility.

But Warn's 8,000lb winches are more expensive than Mile Marker's 12000... so you're not getting a bargain because line speed is comparable.

Speed isn't really an issue for me... reliabilty, dependability, and longevity are important to me.

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

When someone mentions a winch, I always think WARN.

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

These are the 2 specs that would bug me the most:
    [ QUOTE ]
    Ratings for the Warn:
    Pull (lbs) Speed (fpm)
    0 ........ 62

Pull (lbs) Speed (fpm)
    0 ........ 21.3

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have 100 feet of line out during a rainstorm, blizzard, or just a cold blustery day, the time it takes to reel it back onto the spool with the Mile Marker is gonna be miserable. The difference between standing out there in the weather for over 4 1/2 minutes vs. just over a minute and a half can feel very significant when you're getting soaked and/or freezing your a$$ off... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

It's like the old Fram commercials said, "You can pay me now or pay me later". /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

14. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

buy the 12000 and for the $$$ you saved get a synthetic rope... then there's no worries on the drum size. I know for me the one two times that I might have to use a winch I'd rather save a couple bucks and get a higher powered (rated) winch. Then with the money you saved, the synthetic rope/cable wont twist up like metal can after being wound up for long periods of time. Besides it’s going to be tucked back behind a bumper in my case /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    and the synthetic rope won’t rust /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Hmm, looking at the pull ratings on each layer then things get even more interesting:
    [ QUOTE ]
    Ratings for the Warn:
    Layer Pull (lbs)
    1 ... 9500
    2 ... 8650
    3 ... 7920
    4 ... 7400
    5 ... 6940

Layer Pull (lbs)
    1 ... 12000
    2 ... 9210
    3 ... 8030
    4 ... 6894

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been in spots where the only winch point was 30 feet or less from the truck. With so little line out the pull rating on the outer layers becomes more important. Looking at the above numbers the difference between the two winches is pretty minimal. And as stated earlier, the jump that Mile Marker claims between layer 2 and layer 1 seems optimistically huge. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

16. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    They are very comparable winches

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gifnot even in the same league.WARN is by far the better winch. take a look in all your past mags and see what everyone uses. There is a reason for that /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

MM electrics are new... so "look at one everyone uses" doesnt really apply here. Of course more peeps use warn electrics, they have been out 85849579857347584 times as long.

Its just me, but I'd rather have a MM 12000 with synth rope than a warn 9.5ti with narrow wire rope.

j

18. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    MM electrics are new... so "look at one everyone uses" doesnt really apply here. Of course more peeps use warn electrics, they have been out 85849579857347584 times as long.

Its just me, but I'd rather have a MM 12000 with synth rope than a warn 9.5ti with narrow wire rope.

j

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif same here

19. CyberSniper

OK, that's one of the more stupid things I've heard in a while. Why don't you sell your rig and buy a Jeep? "Take a look in all your past mags and you'll see that's what most people drive". /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Maybe the next thing you'll say is that Ramsey winches are junk... /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

20. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Okay since I sale these things everyday I feel i have a better than average opinion. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifAnd I have wheeled when people had "other" brands and they wish they had a warn everytime. I run the rope also much better I think. And have you been on any organized rides. Have you really used a winch much??