Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

warn classic bumper pics ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wheelin247, Mar 20, 2001.

1. wheelin247

wheelin247 1/2 ton status

does anybody have a warn classic bumper and got pics of it i would like to see what it really looks like on a truck before i buy one thanks alot .

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

I dont have any pics, but I've heard that they cant take alot of abuse and break easily. But thats what i kist heard so dont noone get angry.

- SlyDog [​IMG]

3. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I am pretty sure that mine is a warn classic, but I have had it so long that I can not remember. My main two complaints was it hangs down too low and bends easily. So mine now sits 2 inches higher and is reinforced from behind with 1/4 in plate creating a box instead of just a C section. Unless you want it just to look at or plan to build it up like I did mine then I would not suggest this bumper.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

4. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

Is that the one that looks like a semi bumper? If so, i heard they fold (bend) just from standing on them. I would look at S.E.C., Inc. Bumpers. Them things look like you could drive through a building without a scratch. ( S.E.C. usually has a banner add on the top of CK5 pages.)

One From None

5. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

here is a pic from warns site. Try not to look at the Ford behind it. I also belieive that Shawn use to have the Classic on his I am sure he still has pics.

[​IMG]

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com

6. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

here is what Shawn had to say:

"Warn has excellent products but when they designed this bumper, they forgot a few things. It does secure the winch okay and is actually beefy in the middle but the outer sides are very flimsy and wouldn’t take much to bend. You don’t want to put a tow strap around the sides and tug with it. It’s not too reassuring when you stand on it either. Another thing we didn't like is the bumper sits way too low when you first install it. There's a huge gap between the grill and bumper. If anything, it should come up higher so no gap can be seen. We modified our brackets and mounted the bumper higher. Whether you mount the bumper high or low, it has another problem with snagging the lower grill support and bends both bumper and grill support at the same time. This only happens under full flex conditions on the trail or the ramp but thats not acceptable. This bumper get a definite thumbs down and should never be considered for a trail rig. A stronger front bumper (non-chrome) will be installed later in time"

you'll find some pic here: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.off-road.com/chevy/rodent/update.html>http://www.off-road.com/chevy/rodent/update.html</A>

[​IMG]

7. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

I have the chrome one on mine cause I just had to have it. Now I just have to sell it !!!! I wouldn't waste the cash unless you are building a pavement pounder.

8. wheelin247

allright thanks alot for your help looks like i might not buy a warn classic know ......anybody know any other good winch bumpers?

9. SEC, they make some pretty cool looking strong bumpers.

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

10. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

When cash flow permits....I am going with SEC. They are good and can take a beating from what I have heard.....

"I love the sound rice burners make when ya run over them"

11. BMR

BMR 1/2 ton status

I own one. And it is not as strong as I would have liked. Now I have to make the choice to either sell it or make it stronger by welding it. Not reccomendedif you want something strong.

12. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bumper works fairly well for me, but there are NO rocks in Florida. I have welded a receiver under the winch and have yanked until my teeth hurt on stumps and other trucks so yes, the center section is very rigid. The side have rubbed more than I like, from pushing people, but when I make a tool box out of both side, then i can trim it out of the way.

Rob 85K5

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

13. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Pics of an all chrome one below on the site. Just click on the link and look it over.

Yes, if you are thinking about putting a serious load on the outboard section, you WILL bend this bumper. But, as you can see, that is why I put tow hooks mounted right on the meat of the frame - and that section is very strong. I have stood on mine to work on the motor, no problems. Guess it is like anything on this site - different opinions for different folks.

Personally I would prefer a SEC bumper but for over $500 (yes, I got quoted on one already) I can wait. This one cost me much less than that - plus the M12000 bolted right in.

Just another $.04 worth...............

<font color=orange>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>

14. J.C.Staley

J.C.Staley Registered Member

Excellent choice, you won't regret it. Fredd makes geat stuff.

15. wheelin247

So is it worth me buyin a warn classic or no becuase i wanna put a m15000 on it when i get it ?....should I or no ?

16. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Are any of you guys not using the bumper support brackets that go from the sides to the frame? After I put those on I can stand completely on one side of the bumper and it doesn't budge. I weigh 200 pounds. Again, Kansas=no rocks, so its plenty OK for what I need...and it didn't cost as much as some of the more badass bumpers.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad