Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Warn Full float kit for 10 bolt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 91GMCSuburban, Apr 5, 2004.

1. 91GMCSuburban

91GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Yes. Don't let the 14FF Drink the Kool-Aid crowd tell ya any different. That's a very good kit and in fact, a former member here used that kit on a 12 bolt and he didn't have any problems with it.

3. mogas

mogas 1/2 ton status

There's no doubt that it would be stronger than a stock 10 bolt, but, I don't think it would be in the same ballpark as the 14 bolt. IMO

4. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Seems like for the price of that Warn kit you could buy 3 or 4 14 bolts.......

5. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

Many will probably argue that a 14FF can be bought and set up for that price. I got mine for free. It was "taking up too much room in my buddies garage. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

6. 91GMCSuburban

[ QUOTE ]
    Seems like for the price of that Warn kit you could buy 3 or 4 14 bolts.......

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, (plus wheels, gears, lockers, 6-8 lug conversion for front, etc)

Again, for the total package of this kit compared to a total package for a 14bff upgrade, is this worth it?

I also like the idea of keeping the pumpkin small for clearance purposes, but... (and no, I don't feel like boring out my carrier to allow them to use 14 bolt axles).

7. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

I have that set-up on my 88 k5. Works great for me. I too do not belive that the universal answer to any 10 blt question is " Drop in a 14 bolt ". I pull my boat, drive to work every day, and have put on well over 10,000 miles on it and it was used when I got it from another board member who wheeled it with no problems as far as I know. I would like to go 14-60 but tires & wheels and freshen up the axles and bla bla bla more money more money.... Unless you beat the livin piss outa your stuff, a 10blt with an after market differential and after market axles will outlive the rest of the truck. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

If your worried about the c-clips then moser sells c-clip eiminator kits that you can buy at summit for around 140 bucks. I think what i'm going to do with my 12 bolt is put a c-clip eliminator kit in it and buy a set of the superior shafts that ord sells, seems like a much better option and will cost less than a 14 bolt especially since i'll only be running 35" tires.

C-Clip eliminators: $140
    2 superior axle shafts 12 bolt 30 spline shafts: $202
    Total: $342, thats a lot less than I would pay for a 14 bolt after freshening it up and new wheels and stuff.

9. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

Then why mess with the ff kit? I don't have it on my burban. Until my scout is done that is all I have to wheel. The only problem I'vee ever had with the rear was grenading the spider gears. The front short side is what I hate. I'm always blowing that shaft. But like you I am not rich and won't buy expensive upgrades. Especially when they are not guaranteed to eliminate the problem.

10. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

I made no mention of C clips nor does the 10blt ff use them.

11. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

What are you talking about ? Man if I had your money I'd burn mine /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Rich ? I bought two hot rodded 10 bolts for less than the sum of the total parts to build said axles.

12. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Good kit yes. Pricey, Yes also.

This upgrade probably puts your failure point at the ring and pinion instead of the axle shaft. The 8.5 is not exactly a weak ring and pinion. Reading your sig, your only running 33's. If this is as big as it going to get then the kit's a good solution. The 14bff is very strong but most of them you buy for cheap should have new bearing/races/seals put in adding another $100 or two. I believe you can get wheel adapters from 8-lug to 6 lug for around 100, just another option. Doing the wheel spacers would also even out the front/rear track width.

If at some time you plan on going with more then a 35inch tire. I would say bite the bullet and go with a 3/4ton swap.

Mike

13. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

I agree..

14. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Seems kind of an expensive 10 bolt there. I'm a proponent of 10 bolts in the right application... but that's a lot of money. I'd convert to rear disc, buy some 4340 shafts, and buy a locker for that.

15. 91GMCSuburban

I do plan on staying with 33" tires because I will tow as well as wheel. And because I am going to tow and I have a detroit at the rear, the option to go to a FF and lockouts is kind of intriguing (seeing as how I was told not to tow with a locker). This kit also has rear disc application.

16. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    And because I am going to tow and I have a detroit at the rear, the option to go to a FF and lockouts is kind of intriguing (seeing as how I was told not to tow with a locker).

[/ QUOTE ]

How are the lockouts going to help you tow? Are you flat towing the truck or are you using it as a tow vehicle?

17. 91GMCSuburban

As a tow vehicle. So I guess I misunderstood or someone was pulling my chain.

18. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure what they told you but I can't think of a reason to have lock out hubs on the rear of a tow vehicle. I guess you could unlock one hub to take some stress off the locker while engaging and disengaging, but it would put a lot more stress on the other shaft and the locker in general.

A stock 10b with stronger aftermarket axle shafts and a disk brake kit seems like a pretty good option. Just carry a spare shaft -- if one breaks, the disk won't let it out if you stop soon. For $600 you can buy 5+ new spare shafts. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

For what you'd spend on a Detroit for the rear you might as well spend the extra $80 and buy an ARB. Then towing won't be an issue.

20. 91GMCSuburban

Who has a rear disc break option for 10 bolt?

Axle recommendations?