Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

warn hub bad.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevydan3, Oct 19, 2006.

1. chevydan3

chevydan3 1/2 ton status

I think that I have a bad hub, a warn premium. When I am driving around corners or bends, I can hear something rubbing or scraping in the front left wheel. The balljoints, brakes, and u-joints are brand new, and the wheel bearings were recently repacked and adjusted. My hub kept trying to turn the dial to lock by itself while I drove, I would have to turn it back to free whenever I drove but I pulled the cap off, messed with the spring behind the dial and it doesn't do that anymore, but I still hear/feel the scraping. Anyways, I have an old non-premium warn hub spare: Question is, can I use the hub body and put the premium cap on it so they match? Or do I need new hubs altogether, or does it sound like something else it wrong?

2. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

are your lug nuts tight? it might not be the hub but your wheel or soemthing grinding the brakes

3. bdozeraz

bdozeraz 1/2 ton status

What axle do you have. I just went through this with a dana 60 with 35 spline outers. The 35 spline outers are a tad long and shift out and rub on the inside of the hub selector dial. This caused the drivers side hub to try to engage while driving causing a grinding noise as you described.

Who did the repack on your bearings? Did they reinstall all the proper dust seals on the stub shaft? That could also let the axle shift out enough to rub the selector dial.

On my stub shafts I had to grind the end of the shaft down to the snap ring groove and cut a new groove for it about 1/8" back from the original.

Try shifting the axle shaft back and forth and see if you feel it hitting the hub or pull the cap off the hub and see if you see signs of it rubbing on the inside.

Brent

4. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

which 35 spline stubs are you using?

5. bdozeraz

bdozeraz 1/2 ton status

I believe they are the chevy ones. I don't remember the name of the place I ordered them from. There was discussion about this on Pirate not too long ago. That is where I found out what my problem was. I was using the warn rear 60 hubs with the set screws to keep them from turning. Those were the hubs my local 4x4 shop recommended because they had several people that had the same problem.

The dana 60 bible lists a different inner bearing race for the hub that is thicker and moves the whole hub out 1/8" to also solve this problem. I think the race is the same as the carrier bearing race on the 60.

6. chevydan3

chevydan3 1/2 ton status

Axle is a 10 bolt. I didn't think about lug nuts, humm. But I might have to look into the axle rubbing the dial, sounds likely. Also, all work was done by me and is checked periodically.

7. chevydan3

chevydan3 1/2 ton status

Fixed it. Inner wheel bearing went bad and allowed the hub/rotor to move inboard. This caused the back of the warn hub to rub on the spindle and pretty much destroy itself, and the rotor is a little chewed up from rubbing on the backing plate, which was the noise that I heard. Aluminum was everywhere and I used a whole can of WD-40 to clean it all out and I put a new hub in. Good to go.