Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Warn hub install

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Panther, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey everybody. I am in the middle of my warn hub swap and have a general question.

Everything in there is pretty greased up (well it's more pudding-like from muddin, but that's another story). I am planning on wiping it out real well to get the old, dirty grease out. With the Warn hubs, should I make sure to grease it up real well when I put it back together or was that excess an auto hub thing?

And if so, is there any special grease I should use?

Thanks.

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Don't grease it too much. If you do, the gears won't be able to move properly. I usually clean mine off and simply spray them with a spray lubricant.

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

What Tx said. I just put a thin film of grease on there. Too much, and your hubs won't lock when needed, or unlock. Hi-Temp trailer bearing type grease is what I use.
    Boss

4. Blazer83

Blazer83 Registered Member

Marine Grease won't break down as quick if you do a lot of muddin'

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

While marine grease is good to prevent break down when wet, it can mask other problems. Warn hubs (especially premiums) should be disassembled and cleaned after tromping through deep water and/or gritty mud. While they have a nice rubber seal, if water gets inside, the gears can rust. They are all metal. Sure, Warn will replace them if they do, but you don't want to find out they rusted stuck when you need them most.

And, grit from mud is VERY damaging to bearings and gears. It is just a good idea to maintenance these after such romps.