Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Warn hub problem?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by firefighter184, Mar 7, 2006.

1. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

The driver side warn hub is leaking. I tightened down the allen screws as much as I could, and it is still leaking. Not pouring out or anything, but the grease seems to be getting by the seal. I cleaned it off, re-tightened the crews and still found new grease. Any ideers?

2. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Too much grease?!?

You might try some silicone in addition to the o-ring.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  3. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Unfortunatly this is just par for the course from what I have seen.

However, there should be an o-ring seal on the locking hub to bearing hub interface somewhere. You may be able to put a slightly fatter o-ring in and get it to work for a while.
    I have found that nothing really helps. If you are getting into areas that you know that you are going to be into water or deep mud put a few wraps of duct tape around the hubs to help seal up the crack.

4. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking about switching to either the Warn Premiums or maybe the MileMarker hubs. Anybody know anything about these, as far as leaking in/out problems?

5. jfabert

jfabert 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Dont they sell a re-build kit for these? I think it comes with the two o-rings and new stickers. Maybe try and find one of these or get some new o-rings that are the same size along with the silicone. I had one where the o-ring split down the middle(into two diffrent o-rings) and I used some RTV on it and it fixed them right up.

6. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Every hub that I have ever seen that gets used like we use them has that greasy dirt build up around the locking hub to bearing hub interface after a period of time.

I think they lull you into a false sense of security when new thinking they will not leak then Bam!! they start to ooze grease.

I would try to just get new o-rings and run with it from there.

7. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Pull out the hub actuator, there's an o-ring on the end. Go to the hardware store and get a new o-ring.

Worked for me.

8. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yep just the nature of the beast like miniwally said. Every time I am in deep water I always get it inside of the hub. I smear marine grease around the locking hub/bearing hub seal, and also around the dial/hub seal. It seemed to help last time, but the water wasn't real deep. Mine never leak grease, but allow water in. I guess if the grease is leaking out it's harder to get water in:D