Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

warn hub problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5blazerus, Jul 8, 2002.

1. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

I have a set of warn hubs on my 86 chevy the problem that I am having is that I have not been able to put the snapring on the axle. I has stumped me good. the axle is all the way forward and every thing else is installed right. Any one ever had this problem with the 3/4 10 bolts.
    Colin

2. my truck is like this on one side to and i have drive flanges. so want to know too /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif it's the small snap ring on the end of the stub shaft not the big one that goes in the hub......same on yours right, colin?

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

do you have a pair of snapring pliars?some of them dont spread very easily without using them.i have to play with it a little to get mine on and mines a 72 dana 44.i get on half way then get small flat tip screwdriver and pry other end on there.i ahven't invested in the snapring pliars yet. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

4. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

on my 10 bolt i couldnt get them on and didnt use them at all and had no problems----on my friends 44 push on the axleshaft by the u joint and it should come out far enough to put the snap ring on (i was just too lazy to try this on my own axle /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif (the snap ring pliers make it a HECK of a lot easier)

5. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

I do have snap ring pliars but just cant get the snap ring in its groove on the axle. I have used a pry bar to help push the axle all the way out but still canot get it in the groove.
    Colin

6. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I had no problems w/o the snap rings but dont let me be tha last word /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

On my 78 K10 I could not get the snaprings (that sit in the groove on the stubshaft) on the 10 bolt either with the Warn premiums, so I did not run them. So far no problems, but remember that is just me, you may have problems. IIRC somebody said you do not have to run them, but again that is just hearsay.

8. LOL! i like how so many GM parts are "optional" you can use em but you don't really have to /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

9. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I have warn premiums and don't run the shaft snap rings either.

10. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

You have two nuts inside of the warn hub, the bearing retainer nut and a jam nut there is a plate that fits in between the nuts. The nut with the small post goes to the bearing side, the post sticks outward and the ring plate has holes drilled in it to fit that post. If that post is not inside one of the holes then you will not be able to cinch that jam nut up tight enough and then the locking hub won't fit in tight enough not letting you fit that snap ring in. I have the same problem. By the way, if you lose any of those nuts or ring, then they are $60 from the dealership /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif
    Hope this helps /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

11. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

$60? WOW! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Next time go to Napa....the one here has them in stock, I can't remember how much, but it was less than $15. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif