Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Warn Hub Removal (need help ASAP!)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PsychoticDeadGuy, Jul 6, 2005.

1. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

I need to get the front axle shafts out but dont know how to get my Warn Hubs off. I have gotten 2 of the 4wd front bearing tools that you use to get the factory hubs out but neither one fit the WARN pieces. does WARN use their own special tools? they came with the truck and i have never had to remove hubs before. How can i get them out ASAP?

2. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

How far into the hubs are you? If this is your first time they can be very tricky.... Got pics???

3. royjones

royjones Trucker upper Premium Member

Hello dude iam not sure but the hubs that i have the lockouts have allenheads then you must look for large c clip in hub and mabe a smallone on the axle take all this off lay these pcs on a rag . sometimes you can get the big nut lose with a screwdriver then go to autozone an see if they have the right socket

4. PsychoticDeadGuy

i got the allen head screws out, the piece that locks the hubs and the c-clip but that is as far as i have gotten. i just need to get the axle shafts out...

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

If the inner workings of the hub are still in there, you need to remove the outer snap ring. It is just a small wire looking piece along the outer edge of the hub internals. Clean all the grease out from between the wheel hub and the internal lockout hub workings and you should be able to see it. The ring goes about 98% of the way around the hub internals and is in a groove in the wheel hub. You have to use two small screwdrivers or picks to get it up and out of its groove. It can be tricky.

Once you get that outer snap ring out, the hub internals should just slide out. To make it easier, screw in two of the louckout allen bolts to help pull it out.

:thumb:

6. PsychoticDeadGuy

i am not quite sure where you are talking about. i did remove a small c-clip that was on the actual splined part of the axle. where is the other one?

7. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Exactly what he said. 2 thin picks work great and should have it out in 30 seconds.... I've spent 30+minutes trying to get that outter lock ring out w/ 2 screwdrivers & a small allen wrench. That outter ring may be hard to spot so clean the grease out as much as you can if you don't/can't see it. It's located on the INSIDE of the rotor part, and it holds the inside part of the hublock in place.

Then after you get the hub out, you'll have to pull the spindle nuts w/ either a hammer, screwdriver and some finesse, or drop $20 on a spindle nut socket at your local auto parts store. There's also a bearing in there too. After that, the rotor should come off, and you should be able to pull the axle shafts through the knuckle.

8. PsychoticDeadGuy

ok guys, thanx for the help so far. i got to the part where i need to use the wheel bearing lock nut tool, i think. i have the right one. but there is a problem, it wont come off. does it have left hand threads or what? i am doing the driver side right now. there seems to be another nut or something in front of the nut im trying to get off but i cant tell if there connected or not...help please

9. PsychoticDeadGuy

can someone help me out?

10. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Sorry, misread your post.

There are two nuts seperated by a lock ring. Does you socket fit over the first nut and have you got it off yet? There were two styles of lock rings. The newer style is in between the nuts and holds the second nut tight with a pin and tootth into the spindle. The older style has teeth that bend over the first nut to hold it tight.

If you have the new style and have the first nut removed... Get two screwdriver pics that have the bent ends so you can grab onto the lock ring and slide it off the spindle.
    Sometimes they turn on the spindle and get stuck on. If this is your case, you have to take a punch or screw driver and insert it in one of the rings holes and then tap the screw driver with a hammer ot turn the ring back so the tooth lines up with the keyway in the spindle. Once the ring is out just stick your socket on the 2ne nut and loosen it off.

The old style lock ring has fingers that fold over the outer nut that need to be pried off the nut. Then attach the socket and take the first nut off. Then pull the ring off and take off the second nut..

11. xtrmjoe

xtrmjoe 1/2 ton status

There is 2 spindle nuts and a washer between them. The first nut you can get to is torqued pretty tight compared to the inner one which is much easier to get off. Use a impact gun or a cheeter bar if you cant get it off. Look in the Chilitons manual for instructions and a digram.