Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Warn hubs/ and spinning driveshaft

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76_Cheyenne, May 24, 2002.

1. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

I have a 76 K10 and when I bought the truck the man before had put the manual locking hubs on. They used to be automatic hubs with transfercase shifter in the truck with a Hloc, H, N, L, Lloc. With the hubs unlocked, the transfer case needs to be in Hloc, in H, it just whines and makes spinning noises. Isn't it supposed to have to be in H, because otherwise the driveshaft spins, which is the whole point of putting one of those kits in. And my driveshaft does spin with the hubs unlocked, but when I removed the driveshaft , and spun the tires there was no movement to the driveshaft connector on the diff. So basically what im asking is, is there something this guy could have left out of didnt do right when putting this kit togeather. I have a Th350 and a np203(i think) with a dana 44 front. So if there was an eroor it would have been in the T-case right?...... any feedback, thanks

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

You have to put in more than just manual hubs to make it part time. You need to buy the part time kit for the NP203 so your front doesnt spin all the time. Tere are 2 kits out there. One is cheap and one is realy expensive. The expensive one is better for heavy duty use. And the reason why in Hi it just whines and makes spinning noises is its spinning the front driveshaft only. Whne not it Loc it sents the power to the ones with least resistance.

Dan

3. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Desert dueler is right. Just think of the t-case as an open dif WHEN IN THE HI AND LOW positions. It will send power to the front or back or both depending on the traction the tires are getting. Sounds like you need to get the 203 PT kit to finish the conversion.

4. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

So your maybe saying this guy bought only a kit to convert the hubs but not the actual T-case? Are these seperate kits? I thought they all came togeather in one kit with the hubs for the conversion? But i wonder why he would only put on the hubs and not convert the t-case.

5. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Sounds more like he either poor-boyed it, or didn't know what he was doing.