Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WARN HUBS OR AUTO HUBS

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rjfguitar, Jul 27, 2003.

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a set of OEM automatic hubs on my front 8 lug 10 bolt. They seem to engage and disengage fine like there supposed to. I have a set of warn standard hubs that are 1 year old on my old 6 lug 10 bolt, are the warns worth switching? How well do the automatic hubs hold up, strength and longevity wise? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Thanks.

85K5 3/4ton,14bolt,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14welds,big horse 406SBC/700r4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

THeir strength isnt as nice as I expected them to be. They hold up to daily driving, but I dont trust them offroad. I've also had some less than pleasant experiences with auto hubs not engaging, and getting me stuck.

it is great for daily driving, that is about all I recommend them for. (and its only for convenience)

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

auto hubs are ok if you maintain the HECK outta them...and only do VERY LIGHT wheeling, as in climbing curbs at the local mall...manuals are the way to go...lock them before you get stuck like when you start the trail...then unlock when you hit the road..not that big a deal to take 30 seconds and lock the hubs...

4. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Ditch the auto hubs... they WILL get you one day, and you will look back at this post and WISH you had replaced them. Spend a few bucks to insure that you can actually disengage your front axle when you want to! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-Dan

5. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I just switched out my auto's for manuals. The auto's never acted up, but I figured I'd rather be safe than sorry. Plus, I have to get out and air down my tires anyway, so while I'm waiting for the air to come out I lock the hubs, and unlock while I'm airing back up.

6. rjfguitar

Thanks for the posts guys. (Crazy87) What do I have to buy, my warns are still on the old 1/2 axle? I just haven't switched them. Also How hard of a job is it to switch the hubs and any special tools needed? Thanks guys.

85K5 3/4ton,14bolt,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14welds,big horse 406SBC/700r4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

7. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

The old ones will work in your 8 lugger....

8. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Run fast and run far from autos...they will fail when you need them most.

9. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Also How hard of a job is it to switch the hubs and any special tools needed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just remember how you take them out of the 1/2 ton axle, they will go into the 8-lug axle in reverse order...piece of cake. No special tools needed, besides a tool to get the snap rings out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine failed on me on a boat ramp with a 10,000 lb boat behind me in the water. Luckily my gov-locked 10 bolt with 2.73 gears got me up the ramp after intanse smoking of my 31x10.50 A/Ts that were on the truck at the time.

I don't miss them a bit! I'm so glad my 1 ton came with Warns though...the D60 ones are pricey!

11. testosterone

testosterone Registered Member

I just got done doing this exact thing (well I had somebody help me do it) but i watched him and it was a simple thing to do. I got mine Warns for 60 bucks.

12. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]

Mine failed on me on a boat ramp with a 10,000 lb boat behind me in the water. Luckily my gov-locked 10 bolt with 2.73 gears got me up the ramp after intanse smoking of my 31x10.50 A/Ts

[/ QUOTE ] You got some serious luck on your side that you didn't break that 10 bolt into a million pieces (especially the gov-lok) not to mention the tranny and driveline while pulling a boat worth 10,000lbs /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

85k5 3/4ton,14bolt,10bolt,9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14welds,big horse 406SBC/700r4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

13. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine failed on me on a boat ramp with a 10,000 lb boat behind me in the water. Luckily my gov-locked 10 bolt with 2.73 gears got me up the ramp after intanse smoking of my 31x10.50 A/Ts that were on the truck at the time.

I don't miss them a bit! I'm so glad my 1 ton came with Warns though...the D60 ones are pricey!

[/ QUOTE ]

thats exaclty how its gonna happen to my stepdad with his stock original 82 K10 with auto hubs, they are gonna get him one day, i hope soon so i can tell him i told him so... i ant wait. they velaready had horrible really loud grinding teeth noises problems going down the highway, its a matter of any day now...
    i dont wanna be in the truck when one or both hubs go.

he will not swap to manual hubs for anything, he stands up for the POS factory auto hubs

remove them and throw them far away,

good luck