Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

warn hubs wont disengage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 86Cucvbeater, Nov 29, 2006.

1. 86Cucvbeater

86Cucvbeater 1/2 ton status

everytime i lock the hubs and drive in 4x4 and turn hubs back to free, they stay locked in. it happens every time now. i have to take the dial off and pry the sliding gear out of engagement while massaging the tire back and forth and thats getting old.:o anyone use a spring on the other side of the lockout piece to help it disengage on its own? thats all i can think of to do besides adding more grease.:confused:

components-welded dana 60, chromoly 30 spline outers, warn premiums.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You want some grease in the hubs but lots of grease will cause them stick more. The major factor in the hubs stayin locked is probably the welded front. The front axles are always under bind & that will keep them engaged till the bind is released.

You should only need a thin layer of grease in the hubs to keep them lubed up.

Harley

3. 86Cucvbeater

86Cucvbeater 1/2 ton status

anyone else with a welded front have this problem?

4. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Im not sure if you do have it or not but you should, there is a spring that goes behind the engagement gear. It springs back after the knob is released to disengage the gear. If you dont have it then that would explain alot. TYhe welded forn shouldnt make much difference, especially if your rollin with a 205. Normally what Ill do is turn the knob to disengage, put the tcase in 2wd and then reach behind the tire and rock the knuckle joint back and forth until it spins freely. Sometimes they tend to bind up a little bit. If you do have that spring in there I would take it apart, clean the lockout well and then LIGHTLY grease and slap back together.