Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Warn M8000 winch

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by seslick77, Jul 6, 2003.

1. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Anybody using the Warn M8000? Looking for some real world opinions from using one. Lookin at buying a winch this month and have been eye-balling this one. Good price, specs on it are pretty good, and limited lifetime warranty is always a plus. Tell me what ya think! Thanks, Sam

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I had that winch on my rig that got stolen, very good winch. I would recommend getting the warn 9000# or even the 9500# though. The general rule is 1 1/2 times the GVWR of the vehicle it is going on.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

While it's better than nothing, that's a bit on the lightweight side for a K5. I'd suggest that you spend the extra bucks and get at least a 9,500. The 8,000 will get you out of many spots, but it's frustrating when the winch just keeps stalling instead of moving your rig. A good snatch block and tree saver strap can be used to double the power of either and is very handy to have when the winch anchor point is very close to you. No winch pulls at anywhere near its rated strength when pulling from the top one or two layers of rope. They're rated for max pull when pulling with a single layer of rope on the drum.

4. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Don't really want to spend a whole lot of money on something I'll hardly ever use. I thought about the snatch block helping make up for the pulling wieght of the winch. Seen Mile Marker has a 9000 lb. electric out now, not sure on the specs for it though... Anybody useing that one? Maybe I'll spend the extra cash and get a good Warn 9000 or 9500. A winch is one of those things you buy once and keep it forever.... Thanks guys, Sam

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Do what I do. Go to a 4x4 run to be the ultimate poser, pick up a grab bag right before the raffle that just happens to have the winning ticket for a Warn HS9500. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Now I have to learn about winching. I've had three offers on it already and I won't sell. Never planned on spending the $$$$ unless I was rich since I never find myself in the position of needing a winch, but it's one of those things that can save ya even in the most mundane of circumstances. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

My opinion... way to small for a full size rig.

Ken H.

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

a buddy i wheel with runs a 15000 Warn on his Truggy. When other winches don't cut it, he comes out. so unless you want to snatch block EVERYTIME, and assuming there is a place for you to snatch off of, 8,000 just aint enuff, IMHO

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    a buddy i wheel with runs a 15000 Warn on his Truggy.

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif