Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Warn manual hub lock-ring question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by heavy4x4, Oct 5, 2003.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

HOW THE HECK DO YOU GET IT OUT?

I'm so close to being done with my axle swap...all I need is to install the manual hubs from my old 10 bolt into my D44. But, I can't get that big lock-ring out of my old axle, and thus can't remove the hub body.
    Does anybody have tips to offer on getting this ring out. I've tried picking, poking, jabbing, prying, grabbing...pretty much everything you can think of and haven't gotten anywhere. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

two flat edge screwdrivers, push on both sides of the opening, and one edge will pop up, run the screwdriver around under that edge until its about 1/2 or 3/4 ways out, then just pop it out..

3. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

use picks, then when you get it out, put a nice little bend up on one side, 84 K10 showed me this trick /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif then next time you remove it, it will just pop out with a screw driver.

4. 89BlazerK5

89BlazerK5 1/2 ton status

i used an awl or ice pick thingy, and a small flat screwdriver. had to do it a few times, got pretty good at it.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

One small screw driver and one eye glass screw driver is what I use. Sometimes I will use my awl if I can find it. But the Eyeglass screwdrivers work well for me.

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the ideas. Seems like I've tried all of them, so I guess I'll just have to keep at it. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    Thank you Warn /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

7. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

my experience is
    1st up clean it up as much as possible so ya can see what your doing or trying to do at least :-)
    next you must have a GOOD quality dental 90% right angle pick
    then find the 1" opening in the ring insert the tool behind the ring then bring it back too meet it and then slightly roll the tip down and bring it towwards you ever so slightly so the right angle pick sharpe end goes "under the ring " - between the ring and hub then continue to pull it out toward you when it clears the hub roll it back so the tip is pointed straight up kinda like setting a hook when ya get a good bite from a fish :-)
    and then run the tool anround the ring voila your alllmost done :-)
    good pratice is eat dinner with chop sticks for a week /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    best of luck 2 ya
    and happy fishing
    R