Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Warn Manual Hublocks-87K5 (will I need the kit)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stano, Feb 16, 2005.

1. stano

stano 1/2 ton status

Had Premium Warn Hubs on the Old 73 K/10 and loved them. People here said it would be a good idea to change out the automatic hub on the 87/K5.

Went to town and got some 20990 Premiun Warn hublock (manual) for 87/K5. The salesman said that I needed a kit with the hublocks to install on a 87/K5 that has Automatic hublocks.

He showed me the kit #32720 and it was six pieces, looked like 2 bearing nuts with four notches, 2 locking retainers rings, and 2 retainer lock nuts with four notches. The kit (32720) was $54.00. It looked just like the nut-retainer-and locking nut from my old 73 K/10 spindle for the wheel bearings. I figured that it would be cheeper to get these parts from Chevy parts counter if I need then or salavage yard???

So first of all our automatic hubs on the 87 K/5 has 5 small bolts holding on the cover. So if I am reading the instruction right, maybe I will not need the kit or the nuts anyway.

Any help with this...

thank you
    stano
    87 K/5

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Humm 87 might be different but i did not need a kit with my 89:dunno:

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

All you need if the premium hubs. No kit needed. The kit the guy was talking about sounds liek new spindle nuts and washers. If your's are fine, you dont need new ones.

Just pull out you auto hubs.. Take out the 5 or 6 bolts holding the outer cap on. Then the snap ring on the end of the axle stub and the outer large snap ring holding the inner wokrings of the auto lockout... Then slide in the Warn Prem. inner workings.. Reinstall the large out snap ring and the small axle stub snap ring and also the new Warn lockout cap/dial.

Done. :D

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

What they said no kit . I took my 5 bolt autos off too . If you have any snaprings , take them out , you only need the full circle clip that sits in the hubs groove near the end of the snout .

Just remove what you have so all you see is the hub nuts , insert hub body , insert full circle clip , bolt on hub outer cap/knob .

Thats it . I have had superwinch before the warns , their screws strip . The warns have been no trouble for a year now from the lockouts themselves , I did nail a good sized rock and scratched one , but it adds character :D

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Ya don't need the kit for a GM. Some Fords and Dodges have a different factory setup and the kit is required to install Warn hubs on them. :cool1:

6. stano

stano 1/2 ton status

thanks for the help

87 K/5
    stano