Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Warn or MileMarker? (I know, again)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by toy4x4runner, Nov 8, 2005.

1. toy4x4runner

toy4x4runner 1/2 ton status

Sure it's been covered 999x's, but for our D44/10 bolts which is really a better hub? you can read the threads but it's always a draw. I do a lot of water crossing, (HECK I LIVE IN FL, we are one big water crossing!) so sealing it up good is probably #1 priority. I'm running some MM premiums currently and they're getting water in there, so I used some RTV on the O ring and allen bolts. not sure what the outcome is, haven't taken them aprt yet to see. Has anyone compared the MM premium vs Warn premiums for a D44/10bolt?

2. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Ive always used Warn's, have done some water crossing, tho not on a regular basis. Used 'em on Blazer's and my p/u. :wink1:

3. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I like my superwinch hubs. dunked them pleanty of times and not one drop inside. Seem to seal up tight to the hub and the dial itself is sealed. Being in Colorado though, I don't have the same amount of access to running in the wet stuff. Just a creek crossing here or there and the occasional mud after a rain.

Not sure if any hub can perfectly seal out water on repeated dunkings. I'd be using marine style grease in the hubs for added protection.

4. toy4x4runner

You can't do any off-road in FL w/out getting wet. Fact of life down here. Last trip I did was 99% water. As in the water was the trail. 1'-4' of water, few miles long, winding threw the woods. Gotta love FL. But anyway, I didn't think about superwinch. I find the cap of my MM's fit tight into the wheel hub. As in when you install/push in the cover, you tear up the O-ring. and MM allen bolts don't have a small O ring either. and the knob only has 1 seal. So I'm starting to have doubts about my MM's ability to keep water out. That's what sparked this thread and me looking into other hubs.

I'm running Lucas red'n tacky grease currently, but am switching to Lucas HD grease when I do the new Big bearing spindle/hub upgrade. So I'd like to have my new lockout hubs for that job too, and I don't wanna get water in the new grease either.

5. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

Could it be the shaft seals or spindle seals letting in the water? Your hubs may be doing their job.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Don't really think there is much of a difference personally with respect to strength. Not sure on water proofing though. Before you go out and spend a bunch of $, ya might wanna check to see if the ones you have have even leaked since you sealed them up last...

j

7. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

Had the same problem with my MM, wore them out and bought a set of Warns, so far so good, have dunked them a couple of times but not as bad as the MM yet. Have only had them for a couple of months now. But when I put in some new axles there was zero water contaimination. Hope that helps.

8. airbornesoldier327

airbornesoldier327 1/2 ton status

I had mm before the front diff rebiuld and now i have a warns, not the premiums but the cheaper ones, and ever since i dumnked mine, it sounds like i had sand and possably water in the right hub, but the mm hubs sealed nice, you couldnt move the mm, but the warns do, im geussing thats not too good, but how do i make it tighter?

9. toy4x4runner

I'm hitting up the hardware store today for some large O rings to seal inbetween the hub and the MM cover.