Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Warn or MileMarker Locking hubs? multipart question with a ramble in there

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Mar 7, 2004.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Got a 10bolt, when I swap axles around and get things regeared I'll have my choice of a newer set of shiney MM or a used, heavly salted very non-bling Warn Premiums...

What do you think, keep the MM on there or switch over to the Warns? Pro's/Con's

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif(you can pass on this section and reply to the question above or you can listen to me a ramble a bit)
    Right now the project truck has open 10bolts with 3.73 and the warn premium hubs.
    My daily driver has 10bolts WORKING autolock's open front auburn rear and 3.08s.
    I just picked up a 10bolt 5.13 front with mini-spool and milemarker hubs, with 14bolt 5.13 gears.

I want to pull the rear 10bolt and auburn and reaplace it with a 14bolt 4.10's and govlock. I'm thinking about pulling the auburn out and putting it in the 5.13 front 10bolt axle. That 5.13 axle will replace the 3.73 open front in the project truck. Then I need to find a second 14bolt with an open to swap in the rear 5.13's and weld the rear diff.

Should I use the auburn in the project front 5.13 axle or leave it int he daily driver in the front or leave the DD front open and swap in the 4.10 gears to match the rear 14bolt?
    Is the mini-spool going to be really bad in the project truck running 5.13's and 37-38" tires /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    No rock crawling for me (oko maybe a little), I just want to wheel some trails and do my share of jeep pullin /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

Setup Now:
    silver truck/DD - front 10bolt 3.08's open autolocks, rear 10bolt auburn 3.08s
    project truck - front 10bolt 3.73 open warn premium hubs, rear 10bolt open 3.73
    project 5.13 axle - front 10bolt 5.13's mini-spool with MM hubs/ 14bolt 5.13 gears

Thinking about this setup
    silver truck - front 10bolt open 4.10's keep autolocks, rear 14bolt govloc 4.10, 8lug to 6lug 1.5" adpater
    project truck - front 10bolt 5.13's auburn, convert axle to 8lug use warn hubs, build rear 14bolt with 5.13's and weld diff

Left over parts to sell 10bolt 4.10 rear gears, 10bolt mini-spool, front 3.73 axle and MM or warn hubs, rear 10bolt with open 3.73's, rear 10bolt housing 3.08 gears and a front set of 3.08 gears
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

I also have the chance to buy a 10bolt track loc pretty cheap... Should I put the track lock in the 5.13 front and then use my auburn in the front of my silver truck (also the daily driver, 99% street & highway)

SO with all that said, I guess the second question is
    whats better in the daily driver with probley 33's, open - auburn - tracloc? ( /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif open or maybe auburn)
    Whats better in a 80% trail truck with 37's, open - auburn - mini-spool - tracloc? ( /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif auburn or trac-loc)

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My only suggestion is that you leave your auburn where it is. If you intend on wheeling your other Blazer, forget about a limited slip unit. Either lock it or leave it open.

The only thing an LS unit can do for you is fail to transfer power when you least expect it.

3. bugspray

bugspray 1/2 ton status

My Blazer came with MM hubs on it. I've had it for about 5 years, no problems, knock on wood. Warn has an excellent name, and I haven't heard anybody bag on their hubs.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would say that warn hubs are great but the set on my truck doesn't work worth a crap.

5. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

the internals of the the MM and warn are pretty much the same.

personally if i were to choose i would run the MM. the caps on a warn preminum are a shitty design IMO. the springs dont seem to hold up.

id look to see which ones look to be the least worn, and have the best condition aluminum piece (since they are so quality built to begin with)

or find a set of spicers.

6. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

I've blown up two sets of warn hubs. One was the premiums and the other was a older stock chevy warn hub(all metal). Also what do you want for the mini spool?

7. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've blown up two sets of warn hubs. One was the premiums and the other was a older stock chevy warn hub(all metal). Also what do you want for the mini spool?

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif no idea if I'm actually going to use it or not, nor do I know what they are worth /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

Keep me in mind. My burban might be happy with it in the rear.

9. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status