Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Warn or Moser Axle shafts.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GRINCH, Nov 9, 2002.

1. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

Before I get flamed for my decision not to go with a 14 bolt. First I will never have bigger than 35's on my blaze Second. I don't want the added weight nor the loss of ground clearance.

So I'm building up my 90 10 bolt. I am looking at the new e-lockers and either warn or moser shafts. Anyone had experience with either one. What about warns full floater kit?

thanks

2. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Warn only makes full floater kits, you cant get flanged axle shafts from them. I had the Mosers, (still have them with bent flanges, I will sell em to ya cheap!) Went to Superior Axle shafts in the rear 12 bolt and they worked great. Keith and I both trashed them hard and NO problems.

Depdog

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Does Warn still make the 10&12 bolt FF kit? I heard/read about a week ago that they no longer make them. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. frankin5

frankin5 Super Mall Crawler Premium Member

They no longer make this kit. make it hard to get parts when you have one.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I would not put a dime in a 10 rear. Find a 12 rear. It has biggeer pinions and carrier bearings and a bigger ring gear and carrier. That's the parts that have failures on 10 bolts.
    Several companies make decent rear shafts but for the front axle go with the warns. They are fully heat treated where a couple of the others the shaft is treated but the yoke end is not and there have been failures as a result.

6. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

Grim,

Am I wrong or does the newer 89+ have the same spline count as the older 12 bolts. This is a 90 K5.

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

'90 will have 30-spline shafts in the 10-bolt. So yes, the axle strength is very similar (probably the exact same).

The 12-bolt is still stronger because (as already stated) they have larger bearings, thicker pinion shaft, and larger 8.875" vs 8.5") ring gear.

You could kill two birds with one stone and find a van 12-bolt, since it's a bit wider - and matches the front track width; and get aftermarket axles for it.

There is also the 6-lug 9.5" 14-bolt with 33-spline axles. Not nearly the ground clearance loss of the 14FF, yet beefier all around.

You could also build your own full-floater 10/12-bolt. mj (on this board) used to have an article on doing this to a Ford 9". The only custom part was the axle shaft itself - the rest was spindle/hub/rotor/lockout from a front axle.

If you don't mind 8-lug, there are lots of full-floating Dana 60 rears out there. 4.10 ratio is easy to find. Better clearance than the 14-bolt - especially with some shaving.

8. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Don't mean to be a party pooper, but a truck 12 bolt has a 1.438" 30 spline pinion shaft while the 10 bolt has a 1.625" 30 spline pinion shaft. Hence, the 10 bolt's pinion shaft is larger. I know because I compared my old 3.42 ratio 10 bolt pinion to a 4.10 ratio Dana 70 pinion, and believe it or not, the pinion shafts are almost the same size.
    I'd say, slap in a detriot in the rear for a stronger carrier with some Richmond gears and for the front, get a Detroit or ARB (or a posi) with either the Warn or ORD shafts. Top it off with CTM joints or with a Spicer 5-760x joint. CTM joints are $150 each...Spicer's are about $20 each.

9. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Well I'll be a monkey's uncle! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I hadn't measured the pinion shafts... I just figured everything else was dimensionally larger when the ring gear was.

Of the scattered 1/2-ton rear ends I've seen, most of them had the factory Gov-Lok posi, and in most of those, the case had split in two /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif They seem to hold up better in "open" form - might hold up even better with an aftermarket posi, locker, or spool.

Still, you're easily spending $1000 to put a Detroit and aftermarket axles in a 10/12-bolt.

I vote for the 14-bolt and SHAVE IT! Its a perfect bolt-in on a K5, and the Detroit is nice and cheap /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    [​IMG]
    ...and the related thread

10. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

How much do the aftermarket axles go for? I am currently building a 12 bolt. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

11. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

I dont know about the whole shaving thing. Is the pumpkin cast iron, or forged. I dont have a lot of faith in welding to it. Seems that cutting that big chunk out of the bottom and then welding in plate would be weaker than the stock big chin.

Depdog

12. 89GMCSuburban

I like the 14 bolt plan, but you have to take into account it's not just a bolt in. He'll need 8 lug wheels, which usually means 16" or 16.5" wheels (unless you can use 15" rims)..but 8 lug 15" rims need to be custom made. Plus, you need to find the stuff to convert the front to 8 lug which, at least here in Texas, is VERY hard to find. Unless doing hardcore wheeling, stock axles hold up just fine if you're easy on them.

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    but 8 lug 15" rims need to be custom made

[/ QUOTE ] Nope. Lots of places sell 15 inch steel wheels with 8 lugs. I just bought a set of Cragar chrome spokes right out of the Jeg's catalog. They were here in 3 days. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Did a little grinding on the front calipers and backing plates and bolted 'em right on. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. 89GMCSuburban

Cool...my friend got some 16.5" rims made with 5 lugs so he could put the Hummer tires on his Brunco...weren't too expensive. BTW, I got the pinion shaft measurements out of the Jegs catalog, info is from Richmond Gear.

15. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Okay - so 6-lug is a requirement.

The 14SF (9.5") would be a better choice than the 10 or 12-bolt. It will at least save you needing aftermarket shafts - since they're 33-spline already.

Just need the perches re-welded.