Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Warn Premium Hub Help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KENT, Jun 2, 2001.

1. KENT

KENT 1/2 ton status

I have a 10 bolt with Warn Prem hubs. I can not figure out how to pull the hus so that I can check the wheel bearings. I have removed the dial?, the first gear, large spring, and the snap external snap ring. What next? I can figure out how anything else comes off. the smaller gear on the axle shaft that was being held on by the snap ring should come off next?

Help!!

I will be drinking a beer, and awaiting advice...

Kent

1989 K5

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Take two of the bolts that hold on the outer part of the hub and screw them into the inner part of the hub. Just pull on the bolts and it should come out. The next thing to take off is the lock nut, lock washer and the bearing retainer nut. For this you need the four point socket that you can pick up at most auto parts stores. Take off the lock nut and washer. Then the bearing retainer nut and then you can take out the bearing and inspect it. To check the inner bearing youll have to take off the caliper and take off the rotor being careful not to drop the inner bearing. Hope this helps and if I missed anything guys please correct me.
    Tyler

'82 K5 6.2 Diesel, sm 465 np 205, 35" muds

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

There is a retaining ring around the inner diamater of the hub that also needs to be removed to get that gear out. A dental pick works real good to hook it and pull it out. Or sitck a awl under it lift it up and pull it out with a small screwdriver.
    After you get the hub parts out you will need a special socket to remove the bearing nuts. Most auto part stores carry them .
    If you have never done this before. Be careful when you reassamble. The inner bearing nut has a small pin that fits into a hole on the thrust washer that seperates the two nuts. One of the holes on the washer must align up with the pin on the nut. Adjust the inner nut as you would for normal bearing pre-load. Install washer making sure the pin sticks in to one of the holes on the washer.Then thghten outer nut to 160 ft lbs torque.
    Oh yeah, on 89s there is also a snap ring and thrust washer right in front of the bearing nuts. Be sure to check if they are there before loosning the bearing nuts. They may not be there some people just leave them off when the warn hubs were put on.
    Well I guess its Miller Time!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Thunder on 06/02/01 07:31 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

4. KENT

KENT 1/2 ton status

I can not get the inside gear off of the axel shaft. I have removed the snap ring that was in front of it. It moves slightly in and out on the shaft, but will not come completely off.

Can any one post directions. I am at a complete loss.

I have rebuilt several front ends with Warn hubs and everything looks like I expected. I just can not get this gear off. It is the same on both sides, so I don't think anything is broken.

HELP!

Kent

1989 K5