Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Warn Premium hub install question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txbartman, Aug 23, 2001.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I went to replace my auto hubs tonight with Warn Premium manuals. First of all the install was a cinch. Took 5 minutes per side (okay, maybe 10). Of course, they stay in much better when you use the locking rings in the bottom of the box, but that's another story.

My question is that after the install, I went to turn the lock dial. When going from Free to Lock, it is very difficult to turn after it is about 2/3 of the way locked. And it doesn't snap when it goes into Lock like it does when going into Free. Is this okay? Or did I do something wrong?

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>
    Who put a stop payment on my reality check?!?

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i dont think he will be on the board tonite but you can pm the general. he did the same thing on a converted 10 bolt.

Cause Stone Cold said so !!

3. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

One question. Did you happen to grease the hub? If you used to much it won't allow proper movement in the hub to engage and disengage. I usually use a very light coating of grease...very little.

Ric

<font color=red>"Wheel hard or go home."</font color=red>
    click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://www.off-road.ws/images/users/BOWTIE/bowtie5.jpg> BOWTIE</a>

4. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Take her apart, clean out hub housing with brake cleaner, check pressure spring, grease, and reinstall. If that doesn't get it, take back out, keep assembly in hand, apply pressure to spring, and then turn, if she locks than something is wrong in hub, if not, something might be wrong with locking hub. I had no problems with any Warn hubs ever, so a little unfamiliar territory.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

5. HispanicPanic

HispanicPanic 1/2 ton status

exact thing happen to me so what i did was grease it up a little and spray WD-40 on the hub and moved it to the lock and free position over and over till the hub itself got soft. also the reason you dont hear it pop in is cuz sometimes the teeth on the shaft and the teeth on the hub dont line up, thats no big deal as soon as the tire turns or axle shaft it will lock it for you. hope i helped

<font color=purple>I put the Panic in Hispanic</font color=purple>[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://4x4.alloffroad.com>4x4.alloffroad.com</a>

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You probably didn't remove all the necessary snap rings and such. Just take the old stuff out completely, all snap rings, etc., just gut the old stuff out and put in the hub, big snap ring (bend the ends for easy removal) and the cover.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

7. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Yup, either you still have some of the old stuff in there or you need to grease it a bit and work it back and forth until it loosens up .........and the reply that says it has to seat properly is right too, but it will when you start to drive it . You'll never regret putting those on by the way !

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> BOW CHICKA BOW WOW !