Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Warn Premium Hub Install

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89GMCSuburban, Apr 16, 2002.

1. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

It says to remove all snap rings on the stub shaft, does this include the one after the wheel bearing nuts and washer? So far, I removed that one including the washer and installed everything else..so the order goes from the inside out...wheel bearing nuts, hub body assembly, snap ring on stub shaft, large snap ring around hub body, hub dial...is this correct or is my wheel going to fly off? It locks in correct and everything...

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

All you have to remove is your old hub...don't need to touch the wheel bearing nut...

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I didn't have to do anything to the wheel bearing nuts to get mine in. My truck had manual hubs though, and if you had to use a conversion kit them I really don't know. The rest of the process after the wheel bearing nuts seems to be right to me. Also make sure you use dabs of grease on things that move. Not to much though. It doesn't need to be packed with grease. Also use Marine grease if you can.

4. Hossbaby50

P.S. If your truck didn't have the auto hubs with the 3 bolts on the cover plate you won't need a conversion kit. Don't let someone BS you into one. Not sure if you even had auto hubs, but just incase you did and bought a conversion kit.

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I had autos and didn't need a conversion kit either. I think its only for the full time trucks

6. Hossbaby50

From what I understand, full time trucks don't need it either. Just the trucks with the 3 bolt cover autos do. I have heard that alot of 4x4 shops swear up and down you do need the kit for fulltime trucks, but everyone i ever heard of converting a fulltime didn't need the kit. The shops are either ignorant, or they are trying to make an extra $ off the unknowing.

7. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Don't mess with anything inside of the hub bearing nuts. All you should do is pull the original auto hub. The is (if I remember correctly) a lock ring on the end of the axleshaft that works with the auto hub. That will need to be removed. From the hub out it should be (1) hub bearing, (2) inner hub bearing nut (one with the pin), (3) tabbed washer seated on the pin, (4) outer hub nut, (5) washer (optional - but if you can get it to fit with the manual hubs, it will add longevity), (6) main hub gearing assembly, (7) outer hub lock ring (slips into the groove in the hub, holds gearing assembly in place), (8) hub cap with dial.

You also should not grease the axleshaft or the manual hub gears. This will cause it to not work smoothly (not enough room for the tight gears to displace the grease and fully lock into place). For smoother operation without hurting your fingers, I highly recommend spraying the gears and the axle splines and the spring/dial part of the hub cap (the inner side) with some spray silicone lubricant.

Hope this helps.

8. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, I actually installed these weeks ago, but I wanted to make sure the bearing nuts weren't going to come off. Thanks again!