Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Warn Premium Hubs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LittlePig, Sep 19, 2000.

1. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

This happened a while ago, but maybe someone can explain it to me. Warn always makes a big deal out of their premium hubs as being all-metal. I killed one of the Warn hubs on my old blazer (the metal sliding piece inside twisted, and jammed the hub) so I went and bought a brand-new set. The old hubs (same model) were all metal like warn says, yet when I disassembled the new hubs to install them, I noticed that part of the internals for the new hubs was plastic. IIRC it was the splines inside the axle-mounted part, and maybe the slider itself. What gives? Did I get ripped, or is this just Warn cutting costs. The outside bodies were all metal: chrome and brass, and the things cost like $80.

Email: xiaozhu@my-deja.com

2. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Warn Premium locking hubs are overrated, IMHO
    The cost differnce between the Warn Economy locking hubs and the premium, is not justified.
    Hope you keep your paper work, you should not have to buy any more hubs(Lifetime W)

3. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

I have heard this about the newer Warn Premium Hubs, I hate to say it but as much as I like the Warn Premium Hubs and as much as I talk about them I would have to seriously look at the Milemarker and the Superwinch brass hubs and compare quality anymore before just going out and purchasing any of them.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

4. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

I've got a regular warn on the right hub and a premium on the left both have 15,000 miles of hard wheeling and both are holding up fine...different in cost 35.00[​IMG], different in looks (who gives a rats arse) they're always covered in mud and dirt any way[​IMG]

<font color=blue>White Knight</font color=blue>

5. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

A while back one of the 4x4 mags did an article on Warn(premium) v. Superwinch. These were on the hubs for a Dana 60 so I don't know how applicable it was. The Superwinches basically won due to more metal and higher quality metal parts. I don't know the differences for 1/2 hubs.