Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Warn Shackles...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, Jan 9, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Does anyone know how much the working load limit (WLL) on a Warn 3/4" shackle is? If they have one, it should be stamped into the U shaped part of the shackle. I'm wondering because I can get pretty hefty shackles at my local farm store and would like to see if the Warn ones are significantly stronger.

2. chickenass

chickenass Registered Member

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Don't buy the Warn Shackles, they are Chinese junk shackles. Get a good US made shackle. It will be rated for more weight and be supporting the US over the Warn junk that you are paying for the name on. The price on the US shackle will be roughly the same for a stronger produce.

The Warn shackles are rated at 4 3/4 ton WLL. The US shackle the same size is rated for 6 1/2 ton WLL.

Harley

4. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Were is the best place to get shackles??? 4wp??

5. mikey_d05

Yeah, my local farm store sells shackles with a 6 1/2 ton WLL for $10, and ones with an 8 1/2 ton WLL for $18. I was a little surprised when I saw the Warn shackles were only rated at 9500 pounds. Thanks for the info.

6. Hossbaby50

4WP will only sell the Warn Junk. You will need to go to a local supply house or something to get the good ones

Harley

7. mikey_d05

Alright, so next question, what size are all of you running? The 6 1/2 ton WLL shackle will fit with no modification. The 8 1/2 ton WLL shackle will require me to slightly enlarge the hole in the bracket, potentially weakening it if I don't reinforce it. It would be a headache to do the mods and run a larger one but that's the last thing I need flying through the air during a pull.

8. Hossbaby50

What bracket do you have? I have weld on shackle mounts from 4x4 Iron and my 3/4" shackle is WAY smaller then the hole. I could use a much larger shackle in my front mounts then 3/4". A 3/4" shackle is pretty strong so I don't know if it is really necessary to step up unless you are doing some really hard pulls on your truck with alot of momentum.

Harley

9. mikey_d05

I have the shackle brackets originally used on military 1 1/4 troop carriers. the diameter of the hole in the bracket is almost 1 1/8", making it almost 1/4" larger than the pin on a 3/4" shackle. (the pins are usually 7/8") I believe the pin on the larger shackle I mentioned is 1 1/4". I don't do anything crazy with recovery straps, I was just wondering if anybody had broken any shackles with fullsize vehicles.