Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Warn Supreme Hubs Worth It?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Cricket, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Warn standard 1/4 turn vs Warn supreme full turn.

Are the supreme hubs worth the extra money and why?

2. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

I have the standard Warns, never let me down yet. I think the major difference is that the Supreme is a steel, and the standard is alot of Plastic...

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Go find a set of the stock spicer units. Stronger than the warns

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I'd have to say I like the Warns . One of mine has been hit and scraped on rocks , so you can't see the lock and free anymore . And they work fine .

5. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I think willyswanter said a while ago that the only difference is the actual part you turn. THe regular ones are plastic, and the premium's are metal....but the internals are all the same.

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

If thats the only difference , then I am glad I was scraping metal instead of plastic .

The actual dial itself is the only part not missing any material or writing from the rocks , in my case :thumb:

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

To be accurate, I believe they are called Warn Premiums.

I've got a set of the Premiums on my D60 (35-spline) they are not quite a full turn (like maybe 300 degrees of rotation) and are an all-metal construction.

I think the logic is that the full turn is a gentler progression for the locking mechanism, so it will be less likely to stick or bind-up when you try to lock them.... that may also imply that they are more likely to stay locked and not accidentally become unlocked while wheeling.

All that being said, I'm happy with my Premiums....I am a big believer in buying the best parts you can afford the first time. :usaflag:

8. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

i run the premiums, because i got them for the same price as the standards...but i did have a friend who had a heep, with the standard hubs, and his brakes started to stick comming down a mountain, and by the time he got to the bottom, his brakes were so hot, that the plastic centers had started to melt, and they melted in place...
    so thats something to think about

9. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i have noticed the same thing, the actualy locking part is the same, but there are very small differences, like the bolt sizes.

i have been using standard warn for a while, but when the cap broke and locked the hub in going down the road that i had a broken joint in, which bound up and locked the wheel up and wouldn't let me turn, makeing me tear the hub apart along side the road, i spent the $20 more about bough the warn premium hubs.
    the thing that pushes the locking part is plastic on the standard, the plastic wore over time and released the spring pushing the locking part into it.

i do keep a good standard hub and cap in my truck for a spare. i think they are great hubs, but after time they wear out.

10. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Sounds like the only thing the standard is good for is to convert from a full-time just before you send it down the road.