Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Warn winch motor parts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pvfjr, Jul 18, 2005.

1. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Well apparently the motor on my warn 8274 isn't made by warn, so the only replacement part that warn offers is the entire motor itself, $250. I'd like to just buy a set of brushes for it, but I don't know where to find them. I can't read the tag on the motor, but it looks an awful lot like a starter. Is there a way to find some new parts, or a rebuild kit even? Anyone got any numbers for me?

2. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

i dont know if you have a starter and alternator rebuilding shop in your area.
    but a friend of mine took his to a local shop, that does just that, and i belive it was a whopping $45, to rebuild his winch motor. sorry i didnt get the details as far as part numbers and such. good luck

balzer

3. gzzgfw

gzzgfw 1/2 ton status

I got a free 8274 about 15 years ago because it didn't work. Ended up it was missing a brush. We went to a local mom & pop elect. motor shop (maybe even a local altnernator shop will work) and he had a brush for $3.00 that fit. I had to file it down a bit because it was too long but it worked for 15 years. Look in the yellow pages, or pull one of the existing brushes and look at a starter brush and see if they might work? Good luck.

4. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I bought my replacement 8274 motor from DB Electrical. $159 and it works great.

Just make sure you get the gear with it if you don't have it.

-Mike

5. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

That place is JUST WHAT I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR!!
    I can get the motors 3 diferent projects I have going now :D
    :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

7. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the DB electric link, I'll have to keep that in mine.

I've been all through that billavista article, great info and LOTS of pics. Unfortunately, he dinn't really go into detail with the motor itself, and that's what ails me.

I just dropped 'er off at Standard Auto Electric here in Tacoma, they're supposed to call with a diagnosis and an estimate, so I'll keep my fingers crossed.