Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Warn Winch??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by UNCLE CRACKER, Jan 5, 2004.

1. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

I am looking into buying a winch and was wondering what size winches are you guys running? I was thinking about the Warn XD9500i do you guys think this is enough pulling power. thanks for the input

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The general rule is 1 1/2 times the GVWR. The XD9500I should be perfect. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

Bang for buck I'd look into the milemarker electric winches.

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

WARN all the WAY!!!!
    I run HS9500i, bada$$ winch. I even pulled a duckblind out of the lake with it. This blind was the size of a one car garage too. I have used it alot and I LOVE IT!!!
    Warn IS THE BEST! Hands Down!
    Good Luck

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

you know i have the xd9,000i on mine and it has always done me good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif but if you can go with the hs9,500i it is a lot faster than the xd9,000i /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I'm running the 8274 and love it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. jwglover

jwglover Registered Member

I HAVE THE WARN 15000, WORKS GOOD, FOR THE MONEY AND FOR MOST USES THE 9500 WORKS VERY WELL

8. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

HS9500 never let me down,,very powerful on first wrap of cable,,,

9. 84K5BD

84K5BD 1/2 ton status

depends on the type of wheeling you do. i run a 12,000, figured since i run alot of deep mud the extra pulling would help.they use the 1.5 x the wieght of your truck rule as a general figure, but i think you should be ok, just make sure you get a snatch block.

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Linespeed is inportant in the type of wheeling most of us do. That leaves two winches. HS9500/9.5ti and 8274 I have a HS9500i and do not regret my choice at all. I been on the end of everything else but these new MM's and the Warns have never let me down.

11. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

IMHO - Mile Marker 2-speed Hydraulic 10,500 or a 12,000 lb Winch. Just a thought that crossed my mind.

To get away from them only running with the motor running (as in using the power steering pump for hydraulic), install an electric run hydraulic pump to power it - like those pumps used to run low riders. I have not looked into the details on this yet and have no idea how long you can run the electric pump on the battery. The electric winches will not run for long on the battery without the engine running as they pull too many amps.

Also, a hyd winch will run as long as you need it without needing to cool down. I had a 9000 lb electric on a relatively light Jeep (compared to a Blazer) and was wanting more. I would cringe at the thought of less than 12,000 (or less than a 10,500 lb) on a heavy Blazer. This is just my preference and in no way means that a 9 or 9500 is not enough. The one I had did not have the high 4.5 HP motor. If you are in deep doo-doo and by yourself you'll want overkill.

What do ya'll think about this?

12. Grim-Reaper

[ QUOTE ]
    IMHO - Mile Marker 2-speed Hydraulic 10,500 or a 12,000 lb Winch. Just a thought that crossed my mind.

To get away from them only running with the motor running (as in using the power steering pump for hydraulic), install an electric run hydraulic pump to power it - like those pumps used to run low riders. I have not looked into the details on this yet and have no idea how long you can run the electric pump on the battery. The electric winches will not run for long on the battery without the engine running as they pull too many amps.

Also, a hyd winch will run as long as you need it without needing to cool down. I had a 9000 lb electric on a relatively light Jeep (compared to a Blazer) and was wanting more. I would cringe at the thought of less than 12,000 (or less than a 10,500 lb) on a heavy Blazer. This is just my preference and in no way means that a 9 or 9500 is not enough. The one I had did not have the high 4.5 HP motor. If you are in deep doo-doo and by yourself you'll want overkill.

What do ya'll think about this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I live about 8 miles from the company that did the MM and Warn winch test. I have pulled about that many miles of cable. I have as of yet to be impressed with a MM Hydraulic and everybody I know that had one has removed it and gone to a Warn. I saw a 8274 flat out outperform a MM on several occasions. I also know a person that was taking legal action against MM after their truck got $8k of damage for the winch disengaging and freespooling out and It's not the only one I am aware of have that same exact disengage problem. The winch had maybe 1,000lb of line load and was being respooled.
    I have seen one warn not hold under brake when it was covered with ice (8274 with the external brake). The MM did it under load. The Warn did it when it was released from power. The brake simply did not hold.

13. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

I guess MM's claim that its the best cause the military uses em is kinda lame. IMHO the military uses lots of stuff thats less than desirable.

14. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

Well, there goes that idea. I just don't like the amperage load of an electric. I know it's proven, but it seems to me you are always at or above the load that the system can comfortably work at for extended periods. Mean Green Alts do help and possibly completely take care of that problem. Plus dual batteries.

Somebody I work with used a Hyd MM for years pulling logs and trees around at a log splitting site. Never had trouble that I know of. Brakes not working wouldn't have been an issue there so it wouldn't have been noticed.

I may still give it a try as the electrics have downsides also. I'll be looking through the paper for a cheap used one - electric or hyd - first come first looked at. It is food for thought. I know where a 8274 is that needs solenoids.

I agree with the military using less than desirable stuff - M16 is a fine example.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Hydraulic is slow as hell. Only way I'd ever do that would be to go to a PTO.

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

17. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey! Yer not supposed to pull on the first wrap of cable. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

18. Grim-Reaper

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, there goes that idea. I just don't like the amperage load of an electric. I know it's proven, but it seems to me you are always at or above the load that the system can comfortably work at for extended periods. Mean Green Alts do help and possibly completely take care of that problem. Plus dual batteries.

Somebody I work with used a Hyd MM for years pulling logs and trees around at a log splitting site. Never had trouble that I know of. Brakes not working wouldn't have been an issue there so it wouldn't have been noticed.

I may still give it a try as the electrics have downsides also. I'll be looking through the paper for a cheap used one - electric or hyd - first come first looked at. It is food for thought. I know where a 8274 is that needs solenoids.

I agree with the military using less than desirable stuff - M16 is a fine example.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most wheeling winch needs are a short burst. After that short high load burst it's just asisting. The exception is mud.

A hydraulic is a good choice for a work winch that does long pulls regularly like a tow truck. The difference is a tow truck has a PTO driven pump and not trying to use the popwer steering pump that doesn't move the volume needed. I should also point out that everymile marker owner I know has torched power seering pumps at some point. Yeah a lot of them were weak after 25 years of use but they would have gone another 15 if they were not trying to power a winch.

19. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey! Yer not supposed to pull on the first wrap of cable. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I think he means the first layer of cable. That is when a winch has the highest mechanical advantage. But Warn says that there must be at least 5 wraps of wire on the spool before pulling with the first layer, so the wire doesn't slip on the spool. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif As layers build, the mechnical advantage decreases, just like it does when putting larger tires on a rig without changing the gear ratio. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

20. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

first layer is what I meant,,,,