Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Warning!! Lots of questions!! :)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5XLR8R, Jan 4, 2001.

1. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

SCORE!!!!!!!! Ok, heres the deal, I got a line on a '86 Deisel Blazer, its a Sliverado...I think...Anyway, my Blazer is a Custom Deluxe...(Now for the questions)
    1.) The Deisel has sliding seats sort of bolted to the floor, mine has seats that are on a sort of metal bracket...I'm wondering if the seats can be made to fit with the sliders...the passenger seat has a flip forward mechanisim, I was also wondering if ther is any difference in the height of the dash boards??...If not maybe get away with just bolting the new ones to the floor....??
    2.) Will the dual exhaust be able to fit?( with it being a deisel?) mine now is a single?
    3.) The rear window has a electric control, how can I make this fit the tailgate I already have???...or will I need to change the t-gate?( finally!! electric window!!)
    4.) The hood is in better condition than mine is and I was thinking they should bolt right on?? yes or no?
    5.) It appears to have auto hubs as well, I was wondering what the degree of difficulty it would be to swap these in...? or is this a bad idea?
    6.) Lastly, if anyone has any info on tranny, t-case, axles, etc...I'd love to know what the '86 Deisels had...i.e. any different equip etc. compared to my custom deluxe
    it also appears to have dual batteries!! what do I need to look for as far as how these hook together etc..converter ????
    8.) One more thing, What the hell can do with the motor and body when I'm done??
    THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR TIME!!!! THIS INFO WILL HELP ME OUT TREMENDOUSLY!!!!!

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

the seats ,exhaust, hood, and hubs should all bolt up. You may need some kind of harness for the tailgate, but if it was me, I'd leave it manual. i'm tired of mine breaking. The tranny should be either a 700R4 or a TH400. The t-case will be an NP208, and the axles will probably be 10 bolts, but I'm not exactly sure on that.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I'd stick with the manual hubs if I were you, auto hubs crap out too often.

89 K5 Silverado
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com>http://mudfrog.coloradok5.com</A>

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

The Tailgate

If you really want power you would be best to swap the entire unit. Power tailgates are a convenience put are highly subject to the weather. The seal on the bottom of the glass on the outside will allow water in when it dries out. The water comming in and freezing or sitting is hard on the componets. The motors are getting hard to find too, LMC isn't carrying them anymore. You would also need a different regulator too, new ones can run $130. The wiring at the base of the tailgate exposed to element breaks to because of wear. The manual tailgate is less convenient but is alot tougher. My electric barely cranks the window, it better look out though when the body work comes [​IMG].

K5:Big, slow, and flys through snow. [​IMG]

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Hit me with an e-mail direct, at least I'm in the same state, and have some info on the diesel stuff! dyeager535@mindspring.com

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds links: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html>http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html</A>

6. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I'll try to answer some of the questions using the same #'s.

1. ?

2. The flanges on the exhaust are different. The stock diesel exhaust is not all that great any way. It also has extra hangers, which could probably be taken from the '86.

3. Just guessing, but I think you could put the electrics in your tailgate. Test the motor first to make sure its not weak.

4. '81-'91 hoods are interchangeable.

5. The auto hubs are quite easy to swap on, but they are junk. Keep your manuals.

6. The drive trains are pretty much the same in the diesels. The trannys and torque converters are calibrated to shift at lower rpm than autos. Performace will suffer if a diesel trans is used with a gas motor. Ask me how I know. The t-case and axles are the same. My diesel came with 3.73 gears, but I've seen lots with 3.42s. They do have a huge radiator. You will have to use a custom upper hose, the connections are a larger diameter, and make sure you get the shroud as well. Hook up the dual batteries the same way they are hooked up in the diesel, they are wired in parallel for 12V.

8. Unless it has blown a rod, the motor is work money (generally much more than a small block), even as a builder. Either part out the rest of the truck, or have it hauled to the crusher.

Hope this helps. BTW, you didn't mention what year your truck is. If you edit your signature it will show up automatically.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), Dana 60/14 bolt, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Blazer Boy, yank apart your tailgate and remove the speedo cable looking thing that runs from the motor to the drive mechanism. Does it spin easily? The grease in the one on my '87 had dried up and made it VERY hard to turn. A new cable for about $12 and the window went up and down as good as new! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

8. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, mine is a '86 as well.
    So the batteries will just "drop right in" then is that what I'm hearin'? The tranny wont work then eh. Damn, cause I think its recently re-built....What do you mean by "work money"?...Looks like the radiator took most of the impact so its toast...I think the engin is pretty much good to go!!.

9. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

My God, you're my hero [​IMG]. I've been waiting for someone with same problem. I think it has to be that because it has "good spots" when it cranks, it'll move a little than not at all. I'm gonna throw that in with my latch order from LMC and maybe a outer seal too. You outta see the tailgate though, someone thought it would cool to repair it by welding it crooked to messed up mounts. Its not too crooked but its gonna get it when I start my summer body project, I can't stand things done the "easy way".

K5:Big, slow, and flys through snow. [​IMG]

10. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

By "work money", I meant "worth money". Guess I didn't proof read very well. As far as I know, the drivers side battery tray should bolt into your truck. Mine was originally diesel. I run a starting battery on the passenger side, hooked to the motor, computer, ignition coil, starter, and winch, and a Deep cycle on the passenger side. The batteries are isolated and the deep cycle runs the lights, stereo, and anything else not required to start and run the truck. This way I can run the stereo all night when camping and not worry about the truck starting in the morning. It works great, but required a lot of work to the wiring harness.

The tranny could be made to work by swapping to a gas torque converter, govenor, etc. If your current one works good, I wouldn't bother. I still run a diesel converter, and it pretty much sucks.

Gonna have to try that new cable for the power tailgate window in mine. I have to help mine up and down by hand. I usually just end up climbing over the rear seat, since I haven't been able to open the tailgate for over a year anyway.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), Dana 60/14 bolt, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

11. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What kind of tranny do you have? I have a 6.2 Diesel and I think my 700r4 doesn't have the power to handle it. I would be interested in "other" things that are on that Diesel too.....
    SK-15@home.com

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://SK-15.coloradok5.com>http://SK-15.coloradok5.com</A>

12. K5XLR8R

K5XLR8R 1/2 ton status

no idea yet....will know next week.!!!