Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

warped valves?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sparky, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    How bad of a header leak will it take to warp your valves, and how long does it have to be that way? I had a small leak (couldnt actually feel the leak, but could hear it pretty good when in front of the truck) I had to drive it though so I did. About 300 miles or so. Today i fixed the leak, but it sounds like the valve is still making a fair amount of noise. I was hoping maybe just the valve lash needs tightening up. You guys think it likely that I waped the valve or something else? Thanks.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

2. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

I don't think loose bolts could cause a warped valve. Try a compression test. If a valve isn't sealing, it'll show up.

Do you run synthetic oil? Try it. A friend did and it quieted his noisy lifter. Synthetic has a superior cleaning ability.

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I'd run a compression check across that side first to compare them against the offending cylender. I've read of burned valves dropping compression down to 30 lbs in as little as 50 hours of operation. If your compression reads fine then look to the rest of the valvetrain for your noise.

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/borregok5> Pictures</a>

4. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

sounds like a resonable plan of attack to me. Except one problem. dont have a compression gage here at school, but i'll figure something out.

Sparky

78 K-5

5. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

Some of the parts stores like Auto Zone lend them out for a small deposit that you get back when you return it. Thats how i do mine.

<font color=red>A BIG HAMMER CAN FIX ANYTHING.... </font color=red>[​IMG]

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i ran my blazer with straight shorty headders for a month. no problems from it at all.
    Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Before you go and do a bunch of work, replace the header gaskets. A leak at the head can sound just like a clicking lifter.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

8. A&P

A&P Registered Member

Hey Ryan,
    Guess who. What's up with the valves? Give me a call. You can use the comp gauge if you need it providing I can somehow get it to you. Anyways, I really wanted to go to the slab today and tried to get ahold of you, but you were out. We were going to take joes truck.....
    Yah, I know bad Idea, but at least he has a front driveshaft. Rocko made some posts and I was trying to organize a little camp out up there. Jesse is gonna go in his scout also. They're going to be out there tomorrow also. If I can come across some money, I might still go. Oh well, catch ya on the flip side.
    -Ben

9. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

A&amp;P????? What the heck happened to "Paco" or buggybuilder. Oh well, i guess that works. Go get a front driveshaft this week so we can go next week. See if you cant find one at Pick and Pull or one of those other yards that is in decent shape. If ya need to borrow some cash let me know, or see if your dad will let you do some work. All you need is a shaft from a junk yard with decent splines and a couple of u-joints from NAPA.

Sparky

78 K-5