Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

was A/C an option or standard in 87?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigcountryk5, Nov 18, 2004.

1. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

i figure it was an option. Neither the heat or a/c worked in my rig, i also had no interest in making them work so i yanked everything out for more space. i wanna get rid of the compressor and need to know if there is already a belt out there that will allow me to bypass it so i can junk it with the rest of that stuff.

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

A/C's are optional but most trucks have them. As far as a belt to bypass the compressor....thats easy, you can buy any length of a belt because Napa sells belts in 1 inch incraments, Get your tape out and measure how long of a belt you need and head down to Napa and ask for the length. Remember to measure the belt diameter with all the brackets slid in for the shortest diameter so you have room to tighten the new belt as it stretches.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just go to the store and ask for a power steering belt for an '87 K5 with 350 and no AC...you'll get the right one.

About 33" long IIRC.

4. bigcountryk5

sounds good appreciate it fellas.

there are two hoses one from the radiator that did run inbetween the blower moter and a/c and the other out from the same spot to the rear of the engine i was gonna just make it one hose but they are two different sizes can i just cut and plug/seal them ?

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yes you can plug the heater hose outlets.

Rubber slip over plugs in the "HELP!" section at the parts store and a pipe plug in the intake, should be 3/8" NPT.

6. bigcountryk5

one hose is 3/8th's the other is 5/8th's just had to make sure it would be alright to plug em' thanks tim. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Wrong, one is 5/8" and the other is a 3/4" hose.

The radiator will require a rubber cap and the intake manifold another rubber cap or a pipe plug.

8. bigcountryk5

so i should get rid of the hose all together and plug the radiator and the intake manifold i was thinking cut and leave a little and plug the hose