Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Was the 3rd seat an option?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by BurbinOR, Oct 25, 2002.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I see some ads saying 'no third seat'..............does that mean it was optional? If it was, and if a truck didn't have it, is there still the mounting capability to put on in easily?

Getting closer to Subville................. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I don't know about the later models, but my 1977 GMC Sub didn't have a third seat and no provisions (internal mounting brackets) for it. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

It will really depend if it came from the factory with one. Other wise I know some people have one out of a universal van. Most conversion companys who do subs order them with out the third and put in there own. These subs were called grand prix's. So if you can't get a burb with the third seat you can always mount one out of those trucks. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, the 3rd seat was an option. Adding it later can be expensive. Junkyards usually want a small fortune for those seats because they know that people looking for them really want them bad. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I'm not sure if the seat mounts are hiding under the carpet of those rigs that were ordered without a seat. So check around for seat prices and the hassle factor before you buy one with the back seat missing. Around here I've heard that the seat can go for up to $750. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif So I made sure that I bought Subs with the rear seat already there! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The 78 we are purchasing does not have the caged/welded nut under the bed that our 77 had for its third seat. I am sure because I crawled under to look for them specifically. I am going to put a third seat in. I do not consider it a big deal at all. They just need appropriate reinforcing of the area of the bed floor similiar to what the factory installed. It also works quite well using a newer folding suburban third seat, if you make up some simple brackets to adapt from the rigid back seat mounting configuration - we did this for the 77. I have bought entire sets of suburban seats front , middle, rear - newer 81 up style, for $500. You can find the older non-folding third seats needing recovering from $50 up.

6. JAXSTER

JAXSTER 1/2 ton status

IF not Factory option No Mounting Provisions. Still in effect /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

7. Scrubby

Scrubby 1/2 ton status

My '77 did not come with a seat nor did it have the mounting brackets in the floor. I picked up a junked '83 sub for $200 that had the seat and the mounts. I cut the rear floor area out of the '83 where the mounting brackets were. Then I cut small holes in the floor of the '77 where the brackets would hang down. Then I put the piece of floor down on top of my existing floor and welded it down. It is strong and under the carpet, you can't tell at all..

8. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

That was a good idea. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

your suburban may not have the mounting brackets, but I'd like to assume it'll only take drilling holes, adding a reinforcement plate under the floor, and welding a nut to the hole in the floor. the floor design is the same, except for the lack of holes, so adding one shouldn't be anything hard at all.

-Rich