Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

was this guy for real ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scrappyk5, Mar 26, 2007.

1. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

where i live, my wife and i go for walks and one neighborhood we walk in
    this guy has a stepside, kinda beat up but definatly has potential. anyways,
    this thing has been sitting for the two years i have lived there and i have been looking for one real cheap to build. so i wal up to the door to ask the guy if he wants to sell and here is his reply :

well let me tell ya :
    that truck thar has a huge motor producing bout 500h/p. my son does not want to sell and i have been trying to git him to finish it up. he got a 14bff and a dana 60 worth bout $5,000 dollers to go in it. :rolleyes:.

i really didnt give a crap about all that but here my question to all
    of you guys,

he said the truck was a 1987 with an 8' bed and they only made
    250 of them. and the truck was worth about $12,000.
    is this true ?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

of course its true, he said it didn't he? Figure his 14 bolt/D60 number was inflated by about 5 times. So divide the value of the truck by about 10 times...

3. super k

super k 1/2 ton status

Well,that was the last of the long Stepsides.But,that`s because nobody wanted them.I dig them,but the truck value is not so effected by the rare bed.It would have to be all original and cherry for that to even matter.

4. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

They did make long bed stepsides, and they are rare, especially in the later years.
    However, like super_k said, to get your money out of that it would have to perfectly original for it to be worth something based on the model type.

The value dropped as soon as he fiddled with the motor and even more when he puts the dana 60 and 14bff.

If it's been sitting there for 2 years untouched, umoved, he obviously would rather see it rot into the ground than let it go to use, which makes him even more of a dufus.

5. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status

everyone thinks they have a goldmine. i wonder if he even knows what a dana 60 is. it's probably a dana 44.

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

This is the funniest post to start out the week. :haha: :haha: :haha:

There were more than 250 long stepsides made.

No truck is worth $12,000 unless its original, restored or whatever. Not the 1987 year at least. If it was original, had 2K miles on it, and ran and looked cherry, then maybe, just maybe, it might be worth $12K. But only to the right person/buyer.

Did you ask for the guys name? I'm guessing his first name is Jake and he has a username thats been banned from this site.

Whats his username you ask?

Hi Pinion. :haha: :haha: :haha:

7. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

well the 14bff/d60 can't be inflated a whole 5 times if they are fresh and new and evenless if they have detroits in them.

from boyce equipment, a fresh d60f with an arb air locker and 4:56 gears(i'm using this ratio only to match their cheapest rear) and warn premium hubs( it alone cost $3744) then add the 14bff listed for 1800 bucks(this price includes the 4.56's and a detroit, so if you want a different gear ratio, you would have to use the baseprice and add for the gears and locker you want, which would be even more expensive)...but the front end i described and the 4.56 rear would cost me $5544...then i have to get them shipped!

http://www.boyceequipment.com/pricelist/pricelist.html#Truck%20Axles

so if you know where a d60f/14bff is for a grand .....habo man! habo(Help A Brother Out!)

but like the others said..... showroom condition for the truck to be worth what the old man thinks its worth, but the axel combo is plausable.....as for production numbers...i've either found info(usually unfounded) on the net, but i have found that gm is really helpful over the phone for this info aswell, they have an archives dept that will bend over backwards for you...

they are actually trying to find the stamp plates for the '55-58 paneltruck quarterpanel(or bedside for the first metal fleetsides) for for me as we speak. then we will negotiate on them and i in return can start stamping these for replacement panels for trucks and panel trucks(instead of using doorskins and the wheel lip cut out of stepside fenders, like mine required)

i have a 56 panel and am in some forums dedicated to them and no1 makes these panel sides or replacement patches and they are in demand and also archives told me that they more than likely still have them in a warehouse, that the hardest thing to do is find the oem part # for them...once they or me find the old original #, they will be able to tell me then if indeed they still have them and exactly where they are. ooohhhh sweet dream....i would be licenesed by gm to repop their parts and filling a niche.

8. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Everyone these days with an older vehicle thinks its a 'collectors item' that is made of gold.

I wouldn't assume he is talking about Boyce axles and then quote that price. Heck he could buy a pair off my cousin Vinny for $10k... would that make them $10k axles? ;) I picked up my D60 and 14ff for $200 each, both rebuilt for much less than a grand in each. No, that's not a standard deal, but then every time I hear someone claim their 60 worth thousands and thousands and start quoting prices like Boyce's Equipment, I take it with a grain of salt.

In my experience, there are 2 basic sellers out there. The 'I just want that junk gone' sellers, and the 'youre just lucky Im even letting you look at it cuz its worth more than your life' type of sellers. You found the latter.

Few months ago a neighborhood guy had a pretty nice looking '72 stepside (shortbed) sitting out beside his house (for months on end) while he appeared to be working on his neweer trucks. It looked very solid from the road, orange w/ straight body, very little rust, small lift... just needed gone thru. As it happens, the guy was a friend of my g/f's best friend, my g/f said he'd told her he would sell it for $2k. I told her to tell him I was seriously interested and wanted to set up a time to come look at it. Well 2 months went by of me bothering my g/f and her saying "oops oh yeah... sorry ill remember". I drove by his house a while back... truck is gone. I ask Beth, she says 'Oh I asked him, he said he sold it someone for $5k". I swear, when ever I am buying, its a seller's market.. and when I am selling, its a buyer's market. *sigh*

9. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

man i know exactly how you feel

wow 200 bucks apiece, man why cant i find stuff like that...i have been watching the papers closely..waiting on a mid 70's k-30 to go up for sell around $1000-1200, just for the axels and hopefully a th400 mated to a np205, kill 2 birds with one stone, actually if it was a running bbc k30 with d60f and 14ff and th400/np205,..would save me a bundle!!!!in the long end!

10. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

my '82 is a collectors item. i've done some strange repairs that i'm pretty sure make it one of a kind. let's start the bidding at $55k. :haha:

11. mrdrinksalil

mrdrinksalil 1/2 ton status

I've found my best deals on truck parts just driving around. When you're traveling around look out in the farmers fields... You'll knock on their door and half the time the first words out of their mouth will be... "you want to pay me for that pile of sh*t?!?!?..." the other 50% will tell you to get lost (they are probably planning on retiring off of their rusty piles of parts)...

I found my 60 and 14ff, th400 and np205 in a 85c30 with a wrecker bed behind this shack of a house in a area that was being developed quickly. Well the asshole wanted something like $4k for the truck which had a blown up 6.2D in it. I gave him my number and kept his. I called him every other month or so trying to get him to make me a reasonable offer. Well, a couple years later he called me back with his sob story that whoever owned the land he house was on (he musta been renting the land) sold the land cause they were building a wally world there. He didn't have a way to move the truck. The cheap bastard still made me take the wrecker boom off the truck, but I only paid $1000. I ended up selling the wrecker box for about $500. Got me a dana60, 14bolt, th400, np205, and a parts truck for $500...

12. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

Yeah those axles are like the only great deal Ive ever found. lol What can I say, I got lucky. Went to the junkyard 3 blocks from my house looking for a replacement 12bolt for the one Id blown out in my 73 blazer and end up finding a K30 being scrapped.

The scrapyard guy originally laughed when we asked if he had any 1-ton stuff around, then said "oh yeah.. I do have one"... which was the 4wd K30. :) He even ended up charging me the same price per axle as he was gonna for a half ton axle (the $200). IIRC I picked up the 205 for $50 and a few other misc parts. Yeah I got real lucky that day.

13. 87K506

87K506 1/2 ton status

I found a 72 blazer one time, guy was askin 13 grand...rockers were rotted out, needed a paint job bad, but it had a decent motor (sounded stock). The guy said the same kinda thing... That the motor was making 450 hp, had a custom cam (funny...no lope what so ever), had a 14bolt rear (was a 12 bolt...not hard to count bolts), and a dana 60 (was a 6lug dana 44). I told him thanks for the time, turned and hauled ass to get away from the stupid floating around his place

14. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Lets see...

The '87 SWB I have is the first year of TBI and the last year of this body style on 1/2 and 3/4 ton pick ups.

Does this make it ultra rare because its TBI? Damn straight it does! I'm gonna eBay the truck with a start bid of $15K and a buy it now of $25K.

It is a rare truck, right guys? :rolleyes: :surepal:

15. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

90 c10 w 4.3 and a 4 speed. i'll let it go for $10,000 cause you seem like an allright guy. :)

man that guy is on crack.

would you buy the thing for $1200?

16. johnnychimpo

johnnychimpo 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]Who'll give me $5000.00 for this one. It's got one of a kind rusted rockers & a crack in the windshield that looks like Jesus.

17. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

:haha:, YES i know it is a funny thing. i listened to this guy go on and on about
    this rotting corpse in his driveway that needs some serious t.l.c., trying my best to not roll my eyes and walk away, i was thinking if i need clean out the gutters and it came to me it would be a funny post to start out the week.
    finally i told him ive got to go and thanks for the info, i walked to the end of his driveway and continued my walk with my wife. she asked me if i struck a deal and i told her i would try later the guy seemed to have been either drunk or high. she laughed and off we went.