Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

washer pump improvements ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beater74, Nov 26, 2001.

1. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

on my 74 the wind sheild washer just plain sucks, it shoots these two lame a$$ squirts every second or so that don't do a hell of alot to get mud or just plain old dirt washed off the window. i have replaced athe the lines and cleaned the nozles. I am think'n about in stalling an elec. pump on the stock tank and wiring it to a switch on the dash, i look'n for dumpage i mean gallons per minute well not that much. So what have you done to improve your washage?

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

they have after market pumps, I don't know how well some work but my pump pooped out so I got the 10 dollar one and it works OK they had some that were alot more expensive so maybe they worked better...

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

It could be that your pump is just worn out. You can buy replacement parts for them. Your pump is attached to the wiper motor and is driven off of a cam. When it's working right, it should squirt 2-3 times per second, with a pretty strong stream. FYI, DO NOT buy the pump rebuild kit from the "Help!" line of parts that most parts places carry. The plastic they use is inferior and deforms quickly. Buy a brand name kit (Anco is one) and you won't have to worry about it again for another 20 years. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

4. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

Another alternative is to upgrade to the later model ('85-'91) wiper system. As near as I can tell, it's a straight swap. I am doing this on my '73 Suburban. My wiper motor and washer pump were dead, so I got a new wiper motor, washer jar and washer pump from LMC Truck.

The '85 and up trucks use an electric washer motor to pump the fluid which provides a much stronger, steady flow. It should be pretty easy to find the parts at a wrecking yard.

Robb
    '73 GMC Suburban - 502DFI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj>community.webshots.com/user/robbrj</a>

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd just add that I'd stick to the older non-wiper mounted "squirters" if you swap wiper motors. Have to take the cowl piece off to re-attach the hose if it comes loose on the wiper mounted ones. Man is that frustrating : )

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

6. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

As usual, you're absolutely right, Dorian.[​IMG] That's exactly what I'm doing. The wiper mounted squirters are a pain, so I'm just changing the motors and jar.

As a side note, I discovered this weekend that my steering column is no good, since it has obviously been in a wreck and collapsed, so I just picked up an '85 column from a wrecking yard to replace it. Now I'll have the turn signal lever mounted wiper controls with the delay box. I figured if I was going to replace the darn thing, may as well upgrade.

Unexpected side-effect though, is that I need to change the mount at the top of the intermediate shaft to the double-D type instead of the splined older style.[​IMG] Oh well, nothing comes easy that's worth having. At least that's what I keep telling myself.[​IMG]

Robb
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj>community.webshots.com/user/robbrj</a>

7. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

If you get a lot of mud and salt grime, hot water through system works great. I took mine and hooked it up to a fuel filter that I mounted next to headers. Dam hot water and cleans great. Only thing to point out, don't mount to header as it boils water, don't ask me how I know?

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Apologize for hijacking the post, but I have a question about the column. You mention it collapsed, and you need a new one. Where and how did it collapse? Someone told me that the columns were designed to collapse, (as in the metal actually shifted) but as far as I can tell, thats in the steering shaft itself, thats why the nylon is in there, no steel.

I know on my '67 Firebird column, the "jacket' was actually perforated metal, that would crush on impact, and THAT would be a disposable column, but even having had a '73-up truck column apart, I've never seen anything besides the nylon that shears off inside the shaft as a "collapsing" section. I collapsed mine just tinkering with it, but pulled the shaft back out and have used it ever since.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I wish mine would only work. That would be a major improvement.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

10. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Chevy columns are telescoping (but not 1st gens). They are made of 2 pieces of steel that are glued to gether. DO NOT HAMMER ON IT!

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

11. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I bought a inline elec. pump for mine (it is called like a universal kit or something like that) I just haven't put it in yet.
    When I replaced the elec. pump in my mom's car it would shoot the fluid all the way over the car! It was also kinda fun to get your friends wet when they were walking up to the car[​IMG].

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

12. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

When I bought the Suburban, it was obvious that it had been in at least one solid wreck. This weekend I removed the steering column so that it would be easier to replace the ignition switch, turn signal switch, and neutral safety/backup switch.

After getting the column on the workbench, I noticed that the mounting points for the bracket that mounts the column to the dash had broken their epoxy seal and slid back about 3/4". This is generally a bad sign and an indication of something causing the column to compress

Upon further inspection, I also noticed that the collar that houses the turn signal switch and lever had shifted and come into contact with the turn signal lever. The lever had actually caused the collar to crush about 3/4" where they had come into contact. At this point, after throwing a few tools,[​IMG] I decided that I didn't want to rely on this column anymore.

After tearing it down even further, it became apparent that the bearings weren't in the best of shape, so I packed it in and went on the hunt for a later-model column to install in its place.

Dorian, if you (or anyone else) are interested, I can snap a few photos of the damage and post them for you.

I also apologize for hijacking the post, but maybe someone will find this info helpful.

Robb

13. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

darn hijackers. hehe thanks for the help.

14. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You can use the stock wiring. If you look at the wiper motor at the top there is a plug with 2 wires. That's the squirter power off the stock switch. Just get some spade plugs and you can tag it without cuttings. Works great.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

15. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

yeh i think i'll do some search'n for some sort of inline pump.

16. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Most parts stores have them for like $12. Previous owner replaced the washer bottle with one that had a electric on it. I think the wires your looking for are Brown and white. Have to meter them to figure out what one is power. It the wires right at the top. the other wires come in at the bottom

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper