Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

washer pump question, use fuel pump

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big83chevy4x4, May 10, 2005.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

how long do you think a TBI fuel pump will last pumping water?

need a better washer fluid pump, mud gets thick around here and it drains the stock one quick plus it doesn't do that well of a job with the water transfer.

Last edited: May 11, 2005
  2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Are you saying the reservoir itself is too small?

If thats the case, nevermind, but if the reservoir is ok and you are using the stock wiper motor pump, might consider upgrading to a later "remote" pump.

Not at my truck right now, wonder if one of the radiator overflow tanks is larger than the washer reservoir, and if so, could you mount a pump to work with one of those?

3. big83chevy4x4

the stock tank is only good for 3 maybe 4 washings after a mud hole. the stock setup (even the newer style) takes forever to get enough water on it to wash the mud away.

what i wanna do is take some PVC or something and mount it in the cowl with a bunch of holes drilled in it, turn the pump on and watch the mud wash away. i figure i need about 5-10 psi to get the water to squirt all the way to the top of the windshield. a TBI pump puts out 10-15, right? i have plenty of room under my tool box to mount a water jug to supply the water

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My dads a big RV guy, I know he rigged up a 12V pump to run a hot water heater setup. I would think something like that would be a lot easier to plumb than the TBI pump. Just an idea.

Stock TBI runs what, 13PSI, so yeah, pump should be right around there.

I would suspect that as long as the inner workings of the pump aren't going to rust, they'd push water fine. But if they rust, I'd imagine a very short life.

5. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

6. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

You do realize that the more holes you have in the PVC the more pressure you will need to make it squirt the same distance, right?

7. big83chevy4x4

yep

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I tried it once....

I tried using a in tank pump I had hanging around on my plow trucks washers when they crappy GM stock pump stopped working--I go thru a whole bottle of windsheild wash in an hours time driving during storms out plowing--the salt builds up real bad..so I thought of that pump and I jerry rigged it by tapping into the 2 wires that powered the stock pump,and made some hose "adapters" so I could splice it in line--as soon as it "primed",it squirted right over the roof !.

.I tried the stock pump for the hell of it,and it worked perfectly!--and it did until I took the wiper motor off it yesterday to save for my other trucks,before I scrap the truck.(the pressure from the electric pump must have blew crud out of the hoses and nozzles!).--I just took the electric pump off, and now I'm using it as a fuel transfer pump so I dont have to siphon gas for my mower,etc..got sick of getting a high test mouthwash... :blush: :mad: